FLW house in Orlando? Ebay auction does not seem correct.!!

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
hypnoraygun

FLW house in Orlando? Ebay auction does not seem correct.!!

Post by hypnoraygun »

So if you search "Frank Lloyd Wright" on ebay, the first thing that is featured is a house. This is copied from the auction:

"An outstanding Frank Lloyd Wright designed home! This property is clearly in the category of "Falling Waters". The architecture work of Frank Lloyd Wright is known and appreciated world wide."

Unless I am missing something, I don't see this house as Wright's. And I would believe their wording on the auction is borderline if not illegal.. Any thoughts? This place looks like a dump too! I would paste the auction, but I don't want to upset anyone. But it is really easy to find.

Not too happy..

DRN

Post by DRN »

I wonder if the listing is a case of confusion in attribution rather than misrepresentation.

A former apprentice, Nels Schweizer, practice(d) in Florida and oversaw construction of some of Florida Southern's FLLW buildings, and later in the '60's and '70's, designed some of the later buildings on campus, notably the performing arts hall. The blocky stucco forms of the house and the early '70's construction date, coupled with the Wright reference, cause me to suspect the architect may be Schweizer. A realtor may have gotten confused while writing a listing for a house designed by a Frank Lloyd Wright protoge, and wrote that it was by Wright himself. The style or rather, lack of "signature" ornament, seems consistent with Schweizer's very austere architectural language.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Now that I actually read the listing rather than just look at the pictures, I see Schweizer is noted. Wright's and Schweizer's roles are a bit confused and muddy, but I guess that is par for the course in these types of listings.