For sale: Iber House - Plover, WI

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

For sale: Iber House - Plover, WI

Post by DavidC »

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Looks like it has been nicely taken care of...
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

All the Erdman Houses I've seen seem to be in fine shape, altered very little, if at all. Cass was horribly decorated by earlier owners (kept off the FLWBC house tour in 2002 for that reason), but in recent years, new owners have fixed that one as well.

SDR

Post by SDR »

An octagonal table on a hexagonal rug. Tsk ! :D

I'm sorry, but these houses will always be "cut-rate Wright" at best, to me -- a sort of sell-out to popular taste, akin to the Heritage Henredon furniture. They aren't orphans, of course -- just "the poor relations" . . . ?

Just don't say that to someone with a tangible interest in one !

SDR

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

Looks like the Eppstein house is no longer the least expensive Wright house on the market. The table and rug don't seem to be nailed down and are of little concern. The river adjacent to the property would concern me more. Nice area near Stevens Point.

peterm

Post by peterm »

This house redecorated could look fantastic. Everything seems to be in tiptop shape, original bathrooms and kitchens intact. The lower level was clearly done later, but with over 4000 square feet, is that such a drawback? It might be a great opportunity to do something creative with it, either meticulously remodel it to match the upstairs, or "do your own thing"...

What an opportunity!

I would love to see photos of the garden now that spring has sprung...

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

SDR wrote:An octagonal table on a hexagonal rug. Tsk ! :D

I'm sorry, but these houses will always be "cut-rate Wright" at best, to me -- a sort of sell-out to popular taste, akin to the Heritage Henredon furniture. They aren't orphans, of course -- just "the poor relations" . . . ?

Just don't say that to someone with a tangible interest in one !

SDR
I think they were what they were - an attempt (once again) by Wright to bring good architecture to the masses. And, like his earlier attempts, the effort was unsuccessful.

I notice a red tile embedded in the fireplace - anyone know the story?
Last edited by SREcklund on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

SDR

Post by SDR »

A red what, Stan ?

The ruffled drapery in the bedrooms is/are hilarious. The garage-under-a-carport is handsome, on the other hand.

SDR

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

SDR wrote:A red what, Stan ?
That was supposed to say "red tile". I know some Erdmans got them, but I've never seen one embedded in a fireplace ...

Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

DRN

Post by DRN »

While I agree the proportions of the Erdman Prefabs depart from Wright's norm, and thus appear "different" from the balance of his work in this period, I prefer to look at them in a different context. These houses were not designed for a specific client or site, and for the sake of economy and consistency in different locales, "off the shelf" items, most notably Andersen awning windows, in a size that was either selected by Wright, or specified by Erdman became the generator for the house's organizing grid. The rationale for these houses was to bring thoughtful design to a wider population. Wright in essence showed how standard catalog items could be used by a good architect to make architecture in a tract house.