honduran vs. Brazilian plywood

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
David Lurkin

honduran vs. Brazilian plywood

Post by David Lurkin »

Does anyone know of a supplier of Honduran Mahogany Plywood? It seems very difficult if not impossible to find. Also, does anyone know if Brazilian Mahogany is the same? Thanks for any help.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Contact Mark Hill at Bacon Veneer in suburban Chicago,708.547.6673. These guys are great at what they do.

Also try Owl Hardwood in Chicago.

Good luck. You may wish to list your location with your name. It makes the board more interesting and useful.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

SDR

Post by SDR »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahogany

What do you plan to use the material for, and what is the general area where you will be making your purchase ?

Furniture and cabinetmakers generally prefer veneered MDF over veneer-core (plywood) these days, because the former has a more reliably flat surface (which translates to more consistent and even finishing). But plywood is lighter and takes fasteners (in the edge) better.

SDR

MHOLUBAR

Post by MHOLUBAR »

I have used this source with very good results. It was some time ago so the price may be higher.

Panoply Corp.

PO Box 100 (731) 968-4244

Lexington, Tennessee 38351

This will be ribbon striped mahogany (light red murante) plywood for $113 per sheet (4
mholubar

mike

"Meranti" as a subsitute for traditional mahogany?

Post by mike »

We are currently restoring a home done by an ex-wright employee (pre taliesin) and are using "Meranti" as a substitute for mahogany.

Our supplier is one of the biggest in the midwest and can't get anything but very small quantites of honduran in solid stock or veneer.

Years ago we used something called "african mahogany" which was a very close match but I don't know the real name for the species.
St Louis

SDR

Post by SDR »

Meranti (could that be the word in the fourth message here ?) is denser and darker (generally) than much Honduran mahogany. I designed a deck which was built of this wood. I wish the advice given by the seller (stamped belatedly on the bill of sale), to immediately coat the cut ends, had been followed; otherwise the performance has been excellent. Only after the job was complete did we learn that this lumber was being illegally harvested in Indonesia. . .

SDR

mike

"meranti"

Post by mike »

We are using it on the interior only the wood on the exterior of the home is cypress.

I wouldn't suggest mahogany for exterior use but someone on this forum may say otherwise.
St Louis

Richard

Post by Richard »

Just for the record. If you are in a pinch and need to use plywood for the exterior, there is a good product which is available. It is marine grade plywood. It comes in 1/2 inch. I forget the name. It has little graining but takes stain and holds up well. I have it on garage doors and it looks great after 5 years with no delaminating at the edges.

It is sold at Wood World in Chicago.
Homeowner

mike

Also check into "Lyptus"

Post by mike »

Also check into "Lyptus". The "pores" in the grain are bigger than mahogany so if you are using a dark stain it will show. Otherwise it looks great and color and grain is a good match.
St Louis