E. Fay Jones' Glenn Parsons House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Post by DRN »

Let me rephrase.... two steel all threads could be hanging that space defining, or scale reducing horizontal element from the beams above to reduce the possibility of sagging or twisting of the horizontal. The steel rods are wrapped with wood trim.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Parenthetically, finally getting the whole story of those verticals at the Sturges house -- that they are literally loose -- is a relief.
(Odd as it sometimes is, the truth is refreshing.) Here are the curious details -- on two of the more interesting plates in Monograph 6:

(We've looked at this before, but I can't locate the discussion.)

Image Plate 226, Sheet 7

Image Sheet 7 detail

Image Sheet 7 detail

Image Plate 227, Sheet 6

Drawings from Frank Lloyd Monograph 6, © 1986 A.D.A. EDITA
© 1985 The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

To illustrate, Jack Larson took hold of one of the spindles and snapped it out, then snapped it back in. Structurally useless.

DRN, that might be the case, even though no evidence of it shows in the photo. But if you look beyond the beam in the foreground, you will see a much shorter span in the background, it too with such spindles. Also, the beams seem to be the same, the lower and upper beams are identical in cross section, the same design throughout the house. They are narrow (2"?) at the bottom, then gradually widen up to possibly 6" at the top. They are not, it would appear, single boards with structural integrity, but built-up beams, a variation of the box beam. The spindles appear all over the interiors in images 4199-9, -10, -11, long span, short span.

Nevertheless, it all works, doesn't it? It is a magical space. As close to perfection as Jones ever got.

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

I have to request, as I usually do: can anyone post floorplans? It looks like a lovely house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Are there plans in Craig's Guide Book ? Are Jones' archives still with a successor practice ?

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR wrote:Are there plans in Craig's Guide Book ?

No.
SDR wrote: Are Jones' archives still with a successor practice ?
No. They reside at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

peterm

Post by peterm »

Whoever owns this Jones house has decorated it sensitively with an era appropriate furniture and art collection: Bruno Matthson, Alvar Aalto, Finn Juhl, etc.

So nice...

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Wrighter,
From what I remember this looks like it could have been your living room. Is it ??
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Macrodex, the PA article includes a floor plan, but it is in red on a gray background, and because of the size of the house, it's a very small image. Probably not a good image to post? There is also a section through the kitchen (with the arched barbecue pit), the grand entrance and the nifty seating cove.

Using the posted Google image, with north at the top of the page, the wing pointing NW contains the dining room, a huge kitchen and at the end, a porte cochere. The wing to the SW contains a carport for 3 vehicles. The longest wing to the SE contains 5 bedrooms and 3 baths along the gallery that Wrighter mentions, with the bedrooms facing NE; at the end, with a roof at 90 degrees to the wing, is a large master suite at a slightly lower level. Tucked between the carport and bedroom wing is a recreation room with a pool table. The wing aiming NE contains the grand entry, the landing (labeled "Music") and the tall "Entertaining" room with the banquette with the mysterious beam overhead. Along the SE face of this wing is a huge roofed terrace.

Hardly adequate to the challenge, that's the best I can do, not having the facilities to post photos.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks; that's a very helpful description.

SDR

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

Thanks. I'll look again and see what I can decipher.

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

Hi Paul-

No, but there are many similarities--the shape of the fireplace is particularly close, as is the orientation of the bank seating (If ours hadn't been ripped out years ago).

I remember seeing this photo from awhile ago. I think it's from a newspaper/magazine feature. House somewhere in MN? TN?

pmahoney

Parsons house

Post by pmahoney »

We visited this house at the Out and About this past weekend. The house and grounds are spectacular, several visitors compared it in scale and complexity to Taliesin. I think it has the playfulness of Wingspread.

It was also an honor to meet Mr. Parsons. Plans were available to inspect in the kitchen. One of many highlights for this event.