Criticism of Middleton Hills Development

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JimM

Post by JimM »

Eric Saed wrote:

Take a tour of a local Parade of Homes or builder's expo, and I think that might put it in perspective.

Fair enough, but I just call 'em as I see 'em and enjoy a good debate. I'm not even a particularly original designer (see my other ballsy post), but I stand by my point that a quality one-off is still a one-off, and there is too much good architecture out there not created so lazily. "What would Frank say?" is relevant, if his work is to be truly inspirational.

Peter Beers

Work where you live where you shop

Post by Peter Beers »

Oy oy. I kind-of weighed in on this on the Prairie-Mod blog. It is either down at the moment or blocked by my works server.

It seems to me that one of the goals to all of this sprawl control is the idea that you'd work and shop close to where you live. Highly populated areas would seem much more livable if EVERY activity a family did was not started by getting into a car and driving.

I kind-of like that idea. I live that way myself as much as I can. Work is a long way off, but most of the time I commute by bicycle.

I live, however, in the Washington, DC area. The only people who seem to subscribe to that kind of lifestyle are not the suburban folks who do so by choice, but the urban folks who do so by necessity.

There are some cool mini-communities popping up in the very densely populated, close-in suburbs of DC that combine living space and retail areas. They're placed in areas where there a lot of office buildings and businesses. Many folks travel to work by Metro because it is expensive to own a car and park it at either work or home.

Am I off base in my analysis of part of the goals of this project?

So much of the DC area is diametrically opposed to that sort of thing. People who want to avoid the sprawl just move further and further out and commute further and further to work. I work with people who daily commute from Fredericksburg, VA (it takes 2+ hours each way) and Harper's Ferry, WV (even further out).

If you build it, will they come?

Maybe...

The DC area has a planned community nearby. Reston, VA has lots of green space, bike paths and planned living for people of most income levels. It is located fairly close to the Dulles Technical corridor, where plenty of people work. The public transit is quite good as are the bike paths. I have no idea how many people actually work close to home. I know there are quite a few who don't. Almost everyone that I know who lives in Reston works either in DC, or somewhere with a similar length commute.

Sorry that my discussion mentions nothing about architecture's impact on quality of life. I was thinking of this from a different point of view.

Pete