The Wright height

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

I'll find it. Do you recall who is the other person in the photo ?

In the meantime . . .

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Sorry about the quality...from a photo on back of a Newsletter.

Image[/img]

JimM

Post by JimM »

Here's a little better resolution...

Image[/img]

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, I get c. 5'-8" -- in his shoes. How about you ?

I think my method is sound: Transfer the known height of the chair, using the vanishing point established in the photo,
to the centerline of Wright's figure; apply the known measurement; using the same scale, determine the remaining height of the figure.

Of course, there are variables which could seriously diminish the hoped-for accuracy. For instance, if the figure is leaning toward the camera
it could easily add, say, a half inch or more Wright's height, by this method.

Mr Williams seems to be lifting the chair he's holding, off the floor. Are they discussing the furniture ?

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

It's also quite possible that Wright wore lifts/heels most-or-all of the time, too.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

Oh, I believe that is the case. So, if he was 5'-8 1/2" -- as he claimed to be in his autobiography -- in heels and lifts, his actual height may have been 5'-6" or 5'-6 1/2". . . ?

Hard to see what he has on his feet in this photo -- but there could be lifts in them as well:

Iowegian63

Post by Iowegian63 »

In Brendan Gill's biography of Wright he says Frank was 5'6 and wore lifts in his shoes to appear taller. So Wright's claim in The Natural House would be with the lifts in his shoes....

SDR

Post by SDR »

Sure. You can't imagine him being quite that revealing, can you . . . ?

In the photo immediately above, Wright's face is unlike that in any other image I've seen of him. It could easily be another person altogether -- to my eye.

SDR

ozwrightfan

Post by ozwrightfan »

Mr Wright had dentures, so if they were renewed at some stage pehaps that changed the shape of his mouth. His face around the mouth in this picture, for me, reminds me of photos of him as a very young man.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

In the photo with Paul Williams, FLW measures 5'8" per SDR's accurate measurement. The heels of FLW's shoes look standard, which add about 1/2" to one's height. The photo was probably taken in 1954, when the 60 Years show was at Barnsdall, making FLW 87. If he was indeed 5'7.5" or even 5'6.5" with lifts at that time, that would indicate that in his youth he may well have been 5'8.5" as he insisted. Fudge an inch or so either way. (Do not take anything Brendon Gill wrote in his novel as authoritative.)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

In the above photo with FLW holding his knee, he resembles actor Ray Walston of "My Favorite Martian" fame.

SpringGreen

Post by SpringGreen »

There was a photograph from the Frank Lloyd Wright Quarterly in the summer of 2014 (p. 11). Wright is seen standing at a stone pier at Taliesin, and his head was right underneath the bottom of a stone. I ran at the next day with a tape measure, and darnnit! the bottom of that stone was 5'8". Couldn't believe it!

Although the photograph showed him shadowed & you can't see details of his back, so I figure it's possible he was wearing the Cuban heels you can see in some photos.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I was watching the Steelcase DVD on the rehab/reconstruction of the Meyer May House the other day and Vince Scully mentions that he believes that Wright purposely had shorter windows and trim installed to fit Mr. May's diminutive height.

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Spring Green, is that photo of FLW by the stone pier the one that was published in the November 1955 issue of HB on page 240? In the "vivid" blue suit? That's one of my favorite photos of him.

David, FLW did design the beds for the master bedroom to fit the diminutive stature of the Mays. There is in some of the first floor windows a transom that crosses below the full height of the windows which may have had something to do with the stature of the Mays. Not sure. The effect of the spaces in the house is of a superb scale throughout, however he manipulated the fenestration.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Taken on his 86th birthday...

Image[/img]