Iovanna

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
m.perrino

Iovanna

Post by m.perrino »

T-W reporting that Iovanna has passed away. No other details made available.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Sorry to hear of her passing. Thanks for letting us know. Apparently, she had a very tough life.

David

DRN

Post by DRN »

Indeed.
A picture of Iovanna I hadn't seen before:

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-p ... o/50664465

The picture of Wright scrolled immediately beneath is one I hadn't seen either.

SpringGreen

Iovanna

Post by SpringGreen »

I hope she passed well, and that her daughter is doing well.

That's a wonderful photo of Iovanna, DRN. I just saw the photograph below it (of FLW laughing) last week I think, & that's a real delight.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

What building is Iovanna standing in?
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Could it be the temporary house he built on the Guggenheim site? The Chinese carving on the right looks like the ones that show up in exterior photos.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

It's not the 1953 Usonian Exhibition House. There was no stairway in that house..... and it had a brick fireplace.

David

DRN

Post by DRN »

The photo of Iovanna was taken in a two story Erdman Prefab.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It's the McBean House in Rochester, MN.

Patryko

Post by Patryko »

We were at Taliesin West today and informed Iovanna passed away in a California nursing facility. May she rest in peace.

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

I heard stories about Iovanna just yesterday at lunch with Barbara Fritz Dresser, now 90, the daughter of Herbert Fritz Sr. and widow of Taliesin architect James Dresser. Barbara is a vibrant nonagenarian, red-haired and sharp, and was in her element when she spoke at a program yesterday morning at the Dresser-designed Lake Geneva Public Library dedicating a newly refurbished meeting room. (I was the main speaker, on my book, and I showed photos of both Herbert Sr. and Alfred Larson, Barbara's grandfather, who was an original stonemason for Taliesin I.)

Barbara was Iovanna's only approved playmate when they were children, and she remembered her fondly as a spirited and adventurous little girl who was quite fearless. They rode horseback together when they were 10, but they were forbidden to ride across the Wisconsin River with its treacherous currents. Iovanna plunged in anyway one day and they made it across. On the way back, however, Barbara's saddle became loose and she nearly was swept into the river. A Taliesin apprentice (a cellist, she remembers), found them and led them back. On another occasion Iovanna led them on horseback up a hill and into a giant cave. There were also dress-up games and puzzles.

Her memories of her playmate were very sweet, but she knew yesterday that Iovanna was failing. I will call her when the news is confirmed.

EJ

Post by EJ »

What's the story with Iovanna's daughter? I haven't heard much about her other than she was estranged from her mother?

Could someone in the know fill me in?

Thank you!
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Matt

Post by Matt »

The Fellowship book made her out to be mentally erratic. Wasn't she institutionalized much of her life? Could not have been easy growing up in the Fellowship fish-bowl.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"The Fellowship" is a mine field. You have to be careful what you believe. Keep in mind that it was published by the same woman who gave us O. J.'s "If I Did It."