New Wright House built on orignal design site - Massaro home

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
bubba_sideways

Post by bubba_sideways »

I think this project is fantastic. More people should have the courage to build a project like this.

Rock on, dudes. Haters be damned.

JimM

Post by JimM »

bubba_sideways wrote:Haters be damned.

Be afraid.....be very afraid.....the cut and run critics just don't understand the danger it is to our democracy when they have differing opinions! Send them to Guantaliesin!

DRN

Post by DRN »

These "enemy commentants" are are a threat to our Monocracy.

EJ

Post by EJ »

I have one of these disgusting, evil, much criticzed, non-pure, hedonistic, washed out and blasphemous Wright (Usonian to be exact) inspired houses. I love it to death, and, frankly, I think I like it more than I would living in a real Wright home. No leaking roofs or any of that crap...

It is what it is, and I love it...I wonder what 70's ranch or McMansion some of these armchair critics live in as they type their thoughts on this board...
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

JimM

Post by JimM »

EJ wrote:I wonder what 70's ranch or McMansion some of these armchair critics live in as they type their thoughts on this board...

How boorish. OK, you asked: my house may not be an expensive Frank wax museum; but it wasn't intended to be. I wanted to try out things on my own, but didn't hesitate to "Frank it up here and there".

But as I sit here in my armchair (in my 2002 McMcintosh) typing my thoughts on this board, I realize I'm so pleased with the house that I won't mind your expert criticism. Although I am embarrassed to post these unworthy photobucket pictures. And please, I'd really like to see the photos of your disgusting, evil, much criticzed, non-pure, hedonistic, washed out and blasphemous Wright (Usonian to be exact) inspired house.

To anyone else who may care: please excuse the quality of the photos. Perhaps they were not worth posting, considering the low NW sun, a crappy little camera, and my lack of talent. Peter Beers I'm not. I did have cost limitations, so exterior details like foundation stone work and trellises still need to be added. I designed it too quickly under a deadline and built it myself. There are things I would now change, but since it came from New Zealand, there were compromises (another opinionated person in the house also needed to be accomodated!).

Oh, the Wright trinkets were gifts from my kids (who would deny them the joy they get from giving them to me?).

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/Jark2/House/?

(click on the first photo to start a slideshow. I haven't figured how to put them in order, so they are random, sorry. Oh no! What have I done!?!

dkottum

JimM House Photos

Post by dkottum »

JimM, to me this is a wonderful house. One of a thousand perfect possible expressions of the Usonian house idea. Perfect because of its realtionship to site, time, and owners. And perfect in clever details, like the study-over-kitchen turned 45 degrees at the edge of the perimeter, together with the deck, nicely defining rather open space and lending a dynamic quality to the whole. The materials and exposed structural elements. The Hiroshige and Hokusai prints. Great house Jim.

Isn't this what FLLW had in mind as the Natural House, and with its site, a component of Broadacre City?

Doug Kottom, Battle Lake, MN

JimM

Re: JimM House Photos

Post by JimM »

dkottum wrote:

Isn't this what FLLW had in mind as the Natural House, and with its site, a component of Broadacre City?

Doug Kottom, Battle Lake, MN

Yes, I think so, and I appreciate that Doug, thanks. Restrictions aside due to the product, my intent was to try and take non-custom materials and see what could be done. Not for everyone, but it's mine!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

JimM, your house is a perfect reflection of the style popular in your neck of the woods, and is more reminiscent of William Wurster or Pietro Belluschi than FLW. Good job.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Roderick Grant wrote:JimM, your house is a perfect reflection of the style popular in your neck of the woods, and is more reminiscent of William Wurster or Pietro Belluschi than FLW. Good job.

Appreciate that very much, those guys were not too shabby either. I have to be honest; my wife is to blame for it not being more of what I might have done on my own (more agressively Usonian). And with the compromises that would have been necessary due to the product, I was worried that it might end up looking like a bad example of everything I criticize!

I took the easy way out on this one with a more NW ethos; but I think it works on most aspects.