Help Put Wright's Call Building Model Back At Taliesin

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Internet photos of 2 renders, 2 models, and the ones on the Kickstarter page of the 1940 model.
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

The SktchUp model's dimensions are:
37'1" wide
263'10" tall
173'8" deep
JAT
Jeff T

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I used the model as a reference to floors and spacing. For 24 stories I should be at 259' not 263'.
I have wondered if I did something wrong in the spacing at the bottom.
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

The height is now 259', the average height for a 24 story building. The floor spacing is 7'7" except at the top and bottoms.

JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Just found a photo which could help establish the size and proportions of the 1940 (?) model:

from The Show to End All Shows (2004; MoMA; Smith, p 54)

Matt

Post by Matt »

Was this project every seriously going forward? Or was the model a sort of make-work project to keep the apprentices busy and try to lure in bigger/taller projects.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's never too late for an architect to present a favorite project -- especially in the context of a retrospective exhibition !

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

To be honest this building is fascinating.
I always wondered why there are 2 variations
In the model design.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Copied from page 3 of the thread:

Two versions of the project. First, as shown in In the Nature of Materials:

And, as reproduced in FLLW Three-quarters of a Century of Drawings, 1976 (the Italian show):

The models were preceded, of course, by the design work. Many of Wright's designs went through more than one iteration on their way to completion. This project was no different, though neither version of the design was built.

Here is the text and floor plan from Taschen Vol I, pp 462-3:

Text and images © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

SDR

Post by SDR »

Further images displayed in the Taschen entry:

Details of the perspective drawing 1207.001 published in In the Nature of Materials (see above), Taschen I p 463, with regrettable distortion of images due to my extreme close-up photography:

Elevation and view 1207.002:

Detail of above. In the Taschen text (see above) Mr Pfeiffer refers to this perspective sketch with its "arched Sullivanesque entrance"; he doesn't mention the more finished view drawing (displayed above, and here) with arched opening. This pair of drawings (the thumbnail and the plate below) might reinforce the notion that these represent the initial design -- though it's odd to find the earlier version carefully sketched on a hard-line elevation of the later one. It is hard to argue that the later design isn't the more sophisticated, with its interpenetration of elements including a more aesthetically secure attachment to the existing domed tower.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

In the Taschen is there a floor plan for typical and club floors?
I'm amazed at the column details. The arch does make sense as the Press Building does have an arch way.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

http://dreamoftime.com/places/call-building-downtown

I suppose a semi-circular arch would not be incompatible with the Call Building's tall Roman-arched openings . . .

No -- this is all that Taschen shows. The description of other floor plans is tantalizing. I've only seen the pair of plans found here:
http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=6426

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

This is the latest updates. The details in the drawings are so unnoticed.

JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Jeff, there appears to be a discrepancy between the layout of the vertical masses visible in your close-up of the digital model, and the same elements seen in the detail of the drawing of the same part of the tower. Did your measurements come from a different version of the design ?

It's great to see the two Burnham Street ASBH duplexes next to your model; they go a long way toward establishing the scale of the larger structure.

SDR