Video: Are You Sure About Buying a FLW Home?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video: Are You Sure About Buying a FLW Home?

Post by DavidC »

(this video is from 2013)

Are You Sure About Buying a Frank Lloyd Wright Home? - [3:01]

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I was unaware that it was excessive development that brought about the flooding at Bachman-Wilson. Similar things happen here in Los Angeles. The upper reaches of the Hollywood Hills were deemed too fragile for development, so there was a limit for developers ... until there wasn't. Now houses are built atop the hills, causing drainage problems for home owners farther down. No restrictions, it seems, mean anything when there is money to be made. Even government will ignore or rewrite restrictions to make a buck.

Iowegian63

Post by Iowegian63 »

I wonder how much the storage issue is actually true, or just people have too much crap nowadays. I have been in Usonians that have tons of storage. The Lowell Walter house, for instance, has cabinets and shelves the entire length of the bedroom wing.

DRN

Post by DRN »

This video was a companion piece to a Wall Street Journal article written a couple of years ago...the interviewee in the video was the writer of the article. I was interviewed for the article as were some other Wright homeowners. As might be expected from the WSJ, the article focused on the cost of everything and its investment potential, and little attention was paid to the worth of anything beyond dollars and cents.

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

I'm no sociologist, but I think the whole idea of having "stuff" is a result of the post-war consumerism of the 50s and beyond. I can't imagine even the most visionary architect of the 1930s imagining a world where people would rent storage spaces to stuff things they wouldn't even look at but once every 10 years. Frankly, I'd welcome living in a Wright usonian just for the forcing factor it would apply to the crap I have today ... :-o
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright