PBS - Frank Lloyd Wright's Buffalo

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
therman7g

PBS - Frank Lloyd Wright's Buffalo

Post by therman7g »

Monday, September 4

David Ogden Stiers narrates this look at the friendship between architect Frank Lloyd Wright and Buffalo businessman Darwin D. Martin and how it benefited Buffalo. Included: insights from Harvard professor of architecture Neil Levine.

CC, Stereo, Letterboxed TVG

jim

Post by jim »

Has anyone actually seen this show? It has not been shown here on the west coast, to the best of my knowledge, despite it being nationally advertised (in Preservation magazine).
Jim

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It aired on KCET in Los Angeles on Monday. It is interesting mostly for those who don't know a lot about FLW, but it covers a lot of familiar territory for those who do. Unfortunately the restoration of the Martin House has not yet reached a stage where it can be shown to advantage. Neil Levine, Jack Quinan, Meryle Secrest and Eric Lloyd Wright were all interviewed. It is an interesting program, but primarily an ad for Buffalo.

D. Shawn Beckwith

FLW in Buffalo

Post by D. Shawn Beckwith »

I saw the documentary last nite on a Flordia station WBCCE (I think)

It was great, I thought, indepth look at the humanistic side of the great architect and a very devoted client. Sure it did not have an awful lot about the Martin house completed only some photos of in progress work. I really donot think it was to be a restoration documentary but an insight to the relationship and the surroundings and context of the property at that time.

In that context I really enjoyed and it connected some dots on thinks happening at that time to cause certain stylistic and cultural changes.

In regards to restoration and the property etc that would seem to be an entirely different video.

Matt Cline at www.alliedinformation.com did a virtural tour of Greycliff.

my 2cents

D. Shawn Beckwith

Project Manager for the restoration of the

Burton J. Westcott House

The Durable Slate Company

www.durableslate.com

jim

Post by jim »

Saw this last night. It is a good social history of a successful capitalist and his architect at the turn of the last city.

For those who do not know what the Martin house looked like in its heyday, unfortunately, the unrestored state of the house in the views shown does not give much indication of its magic.

Nonethless, well worth an hour of my time.
Jim

pmahoney

Martin House Dedication

Post by pmahoney »

The Martin House will have its three restored buildings dedicated today at 3pm.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20 ... 005397.asp

Pat Mahoney

Martin House Dedication

Post by Pat Mahoney »

Here is an article link from the dedication showing the rebuilt conservatory.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20 ... 070268.asp

JimM

Post by JimM »

Excellent! I was just there this past summer and can't believe the progress made.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It looks wonderful! Notice the small square operable sash in the skylight, throwing the symmetry off. Only Wright would do that.

Pat Mahoney

Darwin Martin's first house

Post by Pat Mahoney »

Darwin Martin's first house, a stark contrast to the Wright designed complex is for sale. Here is the link to an article about the house and Martin's dislike for it.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20 ... 060790.asp