Frank Lloyd Wright, Fashion Designer

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Iowegian63

Frank Lloyd Wright, Fashion Designer

Post by Iowegian63 »

Somewhere along the way I've read or heard that Wright designed dresses for client's wives. Has any one seen images or drawings or these dresses? Or is this just an urban legend?

SREcklund

Re: Frank Lloyd Wright, Fashion Designer

Post by SREcklund »

Iowegian63 wrote:Somewhere along the way I've read or heard that Wright designed dresses for client's wives. Has any one seen images or drawings or these dresses? Or is this just an urban legend?
There's an article from 1995 ("Fitting Rooms: The Dress Designs of Frank Lloyd Wright" by Carma Gorman in Winterthur Portfolio) with the following quote:
David Hanks, author of one of the few works on Frank Lloyd Wright that mentions the architect's costume designs at all, stated in The Decorative Designs of Frank Lloyd Wright that "Wright's concern for the the detail required by an organic architecture even occasionally led him to design dresses for his wife and clients." This commonsense view - that the dresses were created to satisfy Wright's desire for total aesthetic unity - is one that seems to be generally held despite the dearth of literature on the dresses."
I have the book mentioned in the quote, and a couple of others that I think would be good sources of the truth, so I'll take a peek and report back.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

The designing of dresses was said to occur at the Cedar Rock House. The clients clothes were left in the closets when the house was deeded to the state. That might be a place to research to see IF such dresses survive.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

CEP

Post by CEP »

the Decorative Designs book does indeed have Wright designing dresses for wife Catherine and some clients. there are three pictures included (pages 24-26) - two of Catherine and one of Mrs. Darwin D. Martin. the two of Catherine are stated as FLW designs - the one of Mrs. Martin is thought to be one of his designs. Son John says his father designed clothing for Mrs. Coonley, while Wes Peters claims he also designed for Mrs. Robie and Mrs. Dana (no photographs of these have surfaced).

Iowegian63

Post by Iowegian63 »

I've been to Cedar Rock a few times, and don't remember them saying that (in spite of them claiming that EVERYTHING in the house was selected by Wright)....and then you get into the bedroom and see Mrs. Walter's Hummel figurines. Pretty sure Wright never approved those.

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

As I recall, "Fitting Rooms" advances an absurd, bitter, supposedly feminist argument that Wright pressed Kitty to wear clothes of his design that were so bizarre that she could not possibly go out in public wearing them -- that it was a diabolical scheme to keep her confined to the home.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

No Wright dresses at Cedar Rock:

Paul,

The dresses we have at Cedar Rock were donated back to the site after Mrs. Agnes Walter's passing. I do not know of any that were designed by Wright. I have heard of Wright creating dresses for clients, but it seemed like that was earlier in his career.

KATHRYN HUND Program.Planner II
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
P 319.934.3572 | kathryn.hund@dnr.iowa.gov
Cedar Rock State Park | 2611 Quasqueton Diagonal Blvd.| Independence, IA 50644
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond