Article: 'New' Wright ASB home 'discovered'

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: 'New' Wright ASB home 'discovered'

Post by DavidC »

DRN

Post by DRN »

One would hope the FLWBC mails an invitation to this couple to attend the FLWBC's Annual Conference, and in particular, the Homeowner's dinner gratis.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

I have just posted a story and photos to www.wrightinracine.com

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DRN wrote:One would hope the FLWBC mails an invitation to this couple to attend the FLWBC's Annual Conference, and in particular, the Homeowner's dinner gratis.
I think that is a really good idea, Dan.

I wonder if the new owners might be willing to put up with the insanity of a Conference tour of their 'new' FLW ASB???

David

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

I don't think so. Serious medical diagnosis afoot. I already shudder looking at the cars that were starting to crawl past just hours after the announcement.
Mark Hertzberg

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

One of those rare Wright houses with a garage.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Macrodex wrote:One of those rare Wright houses with a garage.
The garage was added later

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Garage was added in 1976. One photo shows an AMC Pacer in it.
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

The site would seem ideally suited to a split-level structure; if the lower level were to be used as a garage, one can imagine the first level on the uphill half of the terrain to be sunk to its window sills -- rather as J Randal McDonald might do -- to lower the overall profile of the house.

As the garage was an afterthought, what if any usable footage, in the same location, would have preceded it ?

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I wonder if further sleuthing will be able to turn up any historic photos via previous family ownerships - hopefully pre-dating the garage addition? as well as any interiors?

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, the ASB Houses had full basements.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Mark Hertzberg wrote:Garage was added in 1976. One photo shows an AMC Pacer in it.
The problem with owning a FLW house is that you have to upgrade your ride, too.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Garage was added in 1976. One photo shows an AMC Pacer in it.

The problem with owning a FLW house is that you have to upgrade your ride, too.
Now hold on a minute...the though not classically beautiful, the Pacer was thoughtfully designed, unique for its era, and better looking than most other economy cars by the Big Three at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Pacer