Earthquake today in Galesburg, Michigan

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jmcnally

Earthquake today in Galesburg, Michigan

Post by jmcnally »

A rare magnitude 4.2 earthquake was centered in Galesburg. There are three FLW homes outside that town, plus four in nearby Kalamazoo. There were no reports of injuries associated with the quake. Limited property damage was reported in the area.

Local news coverage: http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/ind ... cart_river

pharding

Post by pharding »

I felt it in River Forest at 11:24 am cst. I was sitting at my desk and everything vibrated for a short period of time. You could see my desk lamp vibrating in addition to feeling everything vibrate. I wrote down the time because it felt like a low grade earthquake and I was curious if I was right.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

SDR

Post by SDR »

Every quake feels different; there are multiple variables (if you will) at play. The most amusing one I've experienced here occurred in the middle of the night. I was standing in my bathroom, on the sixth floor of an old steel-and-concrete building, when the floor seemed to rise, briefly. Then I was swaying slightly, east and west; that stopped, and I was swaying north and south. That was it. I believe it was reported as a 2 or 2.5 on the scale.

The same event would have been felt quite differently at other locations in the area, based on distance from the epicenter and the nature of the ground under the observer -- among other things. Duration of the event has a major effect on seriousness of damage to buildings and other infrastructure; parts of Nepal apparently felt the quake there for up to a minute . . .

SDR

pharding

Post by pharding »

Here is an article about fracking in that area of Michigan. http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/05/02 ... ame-video/

Here's a Repaublican politician in Colorado stating that "critics of fracking just don't understand fracking". He also talks about burning methane gas in rivers and lakes as being normal.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/1 ... 78411.html
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There was a 3.9 quake at 4:07 AM this morning, centered at Windsor Hills, 6.1 miles deep. It lasted only a couple seconds, but because I'm a light sleeper, I awoke. Out here, it's nothing. But it does freak some people out. My sister-in-law was so nervous about quakes that she insisted she and my brother move from Marin County to Southern New Jersey!

pharding

Post by pharding »

Oklahoma, Texas Suggest Frack-water Disposal Link to Earthquakes http://enr.construction.com/infrastruct ... quakes.asp

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I understand people are against fracking. I posted this news story because some Wright designs are in the area and there might be some concern for those property owners.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I hope there has been no damage to Wright houses due to the quake.

Paul, let's be careful to not fool ourselves into thinking that all or even most elected Democrats are opposed to fracking. But it probably is safe to assume that the vast majority of Republicans would support the industry. (Some people are making enormous profits, and it has created some jobs... And is there any evidence that an environmentalist wing of the GOP even exists?)

My point is this: Complicitous elected members of the Democratic Party are quite experienced when it comes to blaming the other party while quietly allowing disastrous policies to blossom. So to make this appear as though it's the Republicans fault is somewhat misleading.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I agree, Peter. There are distinctions without a difference between the parties. While the Republicans are fairly straightforward about their desire for profit, the Democrats are duplicitous.

I'm not clear on the layout of Galesburg, the distance between the village and Usonia. The time I visited, the FLW houses seemed way out in the country, nowhere near anything that resembled a village. Judging by the map, it looks like Galesburg is a small thing with city limits that reach far into the surrounding countryside, like Stillwater, MN. Perhaps Usonia is far enough removed to have escaped any damage.

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

While it would be a pleasure to blame the oil industry for this occurrence , I don't believe a quake at the reported depth was caused by fracking. The Acres subdivision is about 3 miles north of the epicenter, just east of 34th. The four Wright designed homes are just off 36th. It would be sad if significant damage had occurred to these delightful homes . So far cracks have been reported in the vicinity . There was a gas leak at a retail distribution center near the Acres.