Perry house drawing

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
272Sylvan

Perry house drawing

Post by 272Sylvan »

A couple of years ago, there was a discussion in this group about the drawing of 272 Sylvan (Perry House). The owner of the drawing at that time wanted $25,000 for the drawing. The consensus in this group seemed to be that Mr. Wright had not drawn it himself, that possibly it was drawn by Wright's son Lloyd. The person who currently owns it has temporarily loaned it to the Glencoe Historic Society. Someone from the Society just e-mailed me to tell me that they had the "Original FLW Drawing" of my house. Any thoughts on describing it this way, since there seems to be some question about who actually drew it?
Imageperry_persp_b by 272Sylvan, on Flickr[/img]

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I would say that it was not unusual for architects of that era to have some on their staff or someone they hired specifically for the task to produce the elevation drawings.

Early in Wright career Marion Mahony produced many of his drawings.

Lloyd has been described a terrific draftsman. The drawings that I saw of the James Heald House of two years earlier were done by Lloyd.

In the '30s, '40s and '50s many of the presentation drawings were done by Jack Howe (who had a very identifiable style).

I think it is possible for someone who is familiar with Lloyd's style to analyze that drawing and render an educated opinion.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Paul is quite right. The drawing is a vital and valuable piece of the project, no matter which of Wright's able colleagues drew it.

Enlargement of the above-linked image:

pharding

Post by pharding »

That is a fine drawing but it is not by FLW himself. His drawings were more loose and conceptual.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

SDR

Post by SDR »

I have assumed that, when necessary, Wright could produce a view drawing like this one; that he had done so early on (though I can point to no examples); and that he may have done so at other points, as for instance during the "lean years." Do we know for a fact that this is not true ?

Are elaborate sheets like those for the Heller and Husser houses in his hand ?

Much is said about his drawing ability, among the general public, who have been led or allowed to believe, by those who knew better, that among the drawings he did were presentation perspectives. I am still too much in the dark on this matter . . .

SDR

egads

Post by egads »

I don't think it matters much unless you are buying or selling it.

SDR

Post by SDR »

There's more to art than money, surely ?

One of Sidney Robinson's Summit remarks lends credence to the idea that Wright let others draw for him, by and large.

SDR

pharding

Post by pharding »

Look at the beautiful sketches of the Cheney House for FLW drawing at his personal best. And his drawing skills only got better with age.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

SDR

Post by SDR »

These can't be the one(s) you refer to, surely . . .

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

And here's and article that tells us that FLW's drawings "were almost all created by one woman, Marion Mahony Griffin". (see: about 1/3 down the page)

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

FLW could draw beautifully, as evidenced by the façade he drew when applying to A&S shown in "A Testament," page 25, done before he had anyone else he could have do it for him. But once he had his own office, he did what many architects do, and gave the chore to employees. It's a challenge to determine who did what in the Oak Park studio, but in the case of Perry, I would argue that the crisp outline of the building, the detailing of the sky and trees, favor Lloyd as the delineator. I think FLW lacked the patience to spend so much time and effort on perspective drawings of such refinement. Often he would sketch in trees and bushes on drawings prepared by others, usually in a very rough, quick manner.

272Sylvan

Post by 272Sylvan »

egads, I did consider buying it, which is why I know what the current owner of the drawing was asking for it several years ago.

My immediate interest in it is the fact that the house is going to be on the FLW Building Conservancy tour of Ravine Bluffs in a few weeks, and I am doing a presentation at the Glencoe Library in May about the work that has been done on the house subsequent to my purchase. I am wondering about the best way to describe the drawing. "From the Office of Frank Lloyd Wright" seems to be a safe choice.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Image 1887 (age 20)

Image 1888

Image 1890

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

On initial observation I would have credited to Marion because of the foliage, but the Perry House, dated 1915, leaves Marion out of the picture as she was in Australia at that point.

So my money is on Lloyd due to the timing.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond