Mid-century Modern Usonian

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Macrodex

Mid-century Modern Usonian

Post by Macrodex »

Reminds me of the Trier/Usonian Exhibition House in plan.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I wonder what do those second floor windows in the chimney mass illuminate?

Nice exterior massing.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That's an odd window, since it doesn't show in the interior view of the fireplace. This is obviously a project that may not have been thought through entirely.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Where did this come from, Macrodex ? Is it a plan book ? I see a number 1809 . . .

SDR

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

Just from some Flickr account I was perusing.

DB222

Post by DB222 »

It looks like that window in question allows light into the kitchen via the hallway labeled "laundry." The placement of the kitchen in the center of the building inspired this decision, I'm sure. It seems well thought out to me.

SDR

Post by SDR »

There are two sets of windows above the main roofline, in that masonry mass; one seems to be an extension of the entry window-door element. If those openings (above and below) are in the same plane, then the second-level masonry wall to the left of that stacked opening is placed not above the rear wall of the living room but floating over the carport space. Quite odd. Perhaps the viewpoint of the entry-side perspective places those openings in alignment accidentally, and the upper-level window is actually set back at the living-room wall (near the numeral 3), with the opening coincident with the passage into the living room.

If all this is so, then it may be that the clerestory element shown in the interior view is vertically exaggerated on the exterior -- for unknown reasons -- so that it appears almost as a second level to the house ? And the interior perspective omits the wall in the foreground which separates the living room from the carport . . .

SDR

DB222

Post by DB222 »

I think the narrow upper window actually aligns with the passage into the living room and the wall from which it juts is the vertical continuation of the LR/carport wall.

I'm tempted to load this picture into SketchUp and use its photo matching feature to generate a quick and dirty model...

SDR

Post by SDR »

Do it !

I find McDonald to be superior in terms of originality and composition to many of the better-known Wrightians who have practiced in the last half-century. While the plan here is hardly unique, the composition and the details are convincing, at a first look . . .

SDR

DB222

Post by DB222 »

Well, no luck. I guess the function doesn't work on 2-point drawings...