Conceptual drawing by Wright

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Macrodex

Conceptual drawing by Wright

Post by Macrodex »

I found a proposed plan by Wright for a studio for Webster Tomlinson that is not included in Taschen -- in fact, the project isn't even listed in Taschen. It's a simple single-story plan and touches of early Wright, of course.

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Found _where_?

Rood

Post by Rood »

Interesting. Where did you find this plan. It's obviously a FLLW design .. and that's his signature, and the sketch is from his hand.

However, the studio was designed for Mr. M.R. Lowell, not for Webster Tomlinson. Wright and Tomlinson were briefly partners, apparently during 1901-02. Both were architects. See the fourth paragraph down:

http://www.pbs.org/wbgriffin/wright.htm

pharding

Post by pharding »

I am curious also as to where you found it. I stumbled across it also years ago, but I forgot where I saw it.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

I seriously can't remember where. I tend to just randomly look up Wright things and they pop-out.

It was probably from an auction website, if I had to guess.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

SDR

Post by SDR »

One wonders what Mr Lowell's son was or did, to gain Wright's notice . . .

SDR

pharding

Post by pharding »

That sketch is very cool. Frank Lloyd Wright personally drew phenomenally well. Even if he didn't produce a drawing personally but supervised it, his involvement at that level led to production of a superior drawing.

Every Architect that I personally knew that fell into the great and near-great category could draw really, really well. By draw I mean manually produce great hand sketches of ideas, concepts, details, designs, etc. Being able to produce computer renderings is not remotely close to the value of being able to manually draw well for an Architect to produce high quality architectural works and projects.

goffmachine

Post by goffmachine »

I can bearly read anything.
I think I see the words main light near big window and also porch.
and studio.also fireplace. and seat..
can anyone else make out the writing?
I would love to make a clearer sketch of it if I could know more of the deatils.
:)

pmahoney

Lowell residence

Post by pmahoney »

I looked at this original at the Columbia University libraries last year. I believe Edgar Tafel published it in his first book.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Is it this book? Apprentice to Genius: Years with Frank Lloyd Wright

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

For goffmachine, I'll write what the image says:

My Dear Mr. Lowell:

We never submit competitive sketches. We offer this suggestion in your case, however, as a compliment to your son whose work I admire very much. If the suggestion is valuable, you are welcome to it. You ask what it would be likely to cost, and of course it would be a mere guess with any architect,- there are so many unknown factors. You are probably as good a judge as I am,- say, $1000.00. If you want us to carry out the design with details, we would charge you $100.00 for complete plans.

Truly,
Frank Lloyd Wright

To
Mr. M. H. Lowell,
Manhattan, NY
January 30, 1901.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

goffmachine wrote:I can bearly read anything.
I think I see the words main light near big window and also porch.
and studio.also fireplace. and seat..
can anyone else make out the writing?
I would love to make a clearer sketch of it if I could know more of the deatils.
These may help. I read these in the building's interior -
"20 x 20 studio"
"Possible __ __"
"Toilet"
"Reception __"
"__ porch"

goffmachine

Post by goffmachine »

Thanks jm.

Im guesing those are thin wood walls inside. separating the toilet from large space and also reception area?
Im wondering what FLLW work from the same era would be a good reference for cosmetics such as the window details and cross lacice leaded windows?
Last edited by goffmachine on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Mr Wright's handwriting isn't always easy to read.

The note doesn't appear in "Apprentice to Genius," nor are the names Lowell and Tomlinson found in the index. Keep looking . . . ?

The sketch in the note is a nice one. Not all of Mr Wright's sketches were meant for viewing outside the studio; the ugly little example below could have been made to inform Marion Mahony of his intentions for her drawing of Cheney, as the point of view is virtually identical to that of her masterful perspective (although the details of the front wall are not). Wright's estimation of his own work apparently permitted him to include the scribble in his late A Testament (p 52) -- where he calls it the "first sketch":

Goffmachine, possible precedents for form and/or detail include the early Unitarian Chapel design of 1887 or the Winslow Stable of 1892; following the Lowell sketch would be the Hillside Home School of 1902.

http://www.savewright.org/wright_chat/v ... hp?p=57704

SDR