Video:FLW Fellow & ephemera on Antiques Roadshow

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video:FLW Fellow & ephemera on Antiques Roadshow

Post by DavidC »

(this was brought to my attention by a fellow Wright Chatter):

Austin, TX | Hour 1

(the segment begins at the 35:52 mark - and continues to 38:36)

Can anyone help identify this particular apprentice? He arrived in 1953 - and worked on the Guggenheim.

According to John Geiger's list <---- (pdf file), those arriving in 1953 (and not already listed as "deceased" on his list) included:

- Aederi, Raja
- Amery, Nezam K
- Anderegg, Ernst
- Banks, James
- Bogart, Paul
- Devenney, Nick
- Gorman, Robert Saul
- Goss, Robert ("Gunner")
- Graves, Clint
- Harding, John
- Jones, Jean Cameron
- Nestor, Julius
- Nyland, Eric
- Ottenheimer, John
- Puttnam, Anthony
- Rodriguez, Manuel
- Roland, Ralph
- Thomas, Robert
- Wheatley, David C
- Wierl, Reinhold

Also, any idea what project the original FLW drawing is of???

David

Randolph C. Henning

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

I've been told it was David C. Wheatley.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thank you, Randolph.

David Wheatley

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

(via PriarieMod):

Here is a link to a few pictures of the Elizabeth and Robert Warren Home (1963) that is attributed to David Wheatley. The home (in St. Joseph, MI) was on the tours that were part of 2013 FLW Conference, based in Grand Rapids, MI.

And here is a link to a discussion of a home (Donald W. Aitken House) that was for sale back in 2006 - and that 'wjsaia' mentions as being another David Wheatley design.

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR - would you be able to take a screen shot of the original Wright drawing - possibly blow it up a little - and post it here? Thanks!

David

Randolph C. Henning

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

The original drawing "borrowed" (and yet to be returned) by David Wheatly featured on the Antiques Roadshow is a sketch for the Edgar J. Kaufmann Farm Cottage at Fallingwater. Per BBP, the project dates circa 1941.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thanks, again, Randolph.

In the video, Mr. Wheatley says "I was cleaning up the drafting room after (Wright) had already gone. And I saw this and I thought well, my God - they take them off and throw away. So I thought, what the heck. So I took a razor and cut that out and kept it."

And later he says, "And if I left it there it would have just be thrown away."

Intentionally or not (you never know due to editing by the program producers), Mr. Wheatly comes off sounding as is he all but 'rescued' this 'soon-to-be-thrown-away' sketch by Wright - who just happened to just 'shake another one out of his sleeves' in front of the apprentices (who would then make final drawings from it).

One problem is, Mr. Wheatley arrived in 1953 and - assuming Randolph's BBP date is correct - the drawing was done in 1941. Therefore, it had been sitting in the drafting room for a minimum of 12 years. Also, Mr. Wheatley mentions that he took a razor to cut it out. That would imply that the sketch had been specifically put into or onto something (frame and/or backing) prior to being set aside.

Also, by the mid-50's hadn't Taliesin started the process of beginning to save and catalogue drawings and related items?

David

DRN

Post by DRN »

Wheatley's comments seemed odd to me too.

Given the vast number of drawings in the Archive, it would seem little was just thrown out. The sketch appears to be a clear preliminary sketch of a plan and elevation for a concept that, based on its form and organization, has similar characteristics of later houses including the Erdman Prefab#1 and the Sweeton house. I could see this being out of the drawer as a referential sketch for one of those projects in the 1950's....but I find it difficult to imagine the keepers of the drawings would let such a sketch be tossed once it spawned another design.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Farm Cottage Project, 1941 -- possibly proposed for a site near the Kaufmann's dairy barn, east side of Route 53. Three-foot module. Illustrations found on pp 124-127 of Merchant Prince and Master Builder (Richard L Cleary, 1999).

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=2991

Drawing exhibited by Mr Wheatley:

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thank you very much for posting these, SDR. It gives great illustration to just how close to 'finished' Wright's designs could be coming straight from thought-to-pencil-to-paper.

The Kaufmann Farm Cottage design seems to have a lot in common with the Edith Carlson House (1939) and related Roy E. Petersen House (1941) - which was realized as a Legacy Project in the form of the Whiteford-Haddock House (1979) - Ann Arbor, MI.

David