Article: Hollyhock House to reopen in February

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Hollyhock House to reopen in February

Post by DavidC »

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Wish they'd have included a correct opening date.

josquin

Hollyhock House Opening

Post by josquin »

It appears that the house will be open to the public starting February 13th with a ribbon cutting at 4 PM followed by a 24 hour period of self guided tours.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There is no Neutra building in the park.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock House To Reopen

Some nice B&W photos in the above link. And, I like how Wright extended the ceiling fixture to follow the angle where the ceiling begins it's upward slope.

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

David, the dining room ceiling light was designed by Lloyd for the 1946 renovation. FLW's design for the lighting, which was not installed, consisted of 6 half-globes set into the ceiling along the north end of the room within squares of wood trim, each of which was attached by wood trim to 6 Robie-like circle-in-the-square fixtures extending beyond the flat ceiling. Someone (probably Aline) hung a fabric shade from the original single ceiling fixture. There is a faint early photograph in Kathryn Smith's book on the subject (page 124). I believe that unsightly rag has been reinstalled recently.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Aak. How can that happen ?

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick:

Thanks for letting me know. Do any of the current rooms have the Robie-esque light fixtures left?

David

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Several years ago the house installed a non-working wooden copy of one of these fixtures in the loggia. I don't know what it has now.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Reidy, I'm not sure you're right, nor do I know you're wrong about that, since I haven't been up there for nine years, but the wood fixtures that were added to the loggia are nothing like Robie. An early b/w photo of the loggia shows a hard-to-discern image of light fixtures on the piers flanking the doorway to the garden court. Around the turn of the century, Ginny heard that one of the original fixtures was owned by a man in the Valley. We went out to his house, along with Jim Ipekjian, the master craftsman who built the living room furniture, and made full-scale drawings of the light (which was obviously designed by RMS) from which sconces were made. That they have never been hooked up is reasonable, since they are hung on solid masonry piers holding up a concrete ceiling, making wiring difficult and expensive.

The fixtures are rectilinear, about the size of shoe boxes on end. I doubt they would add appreciably to the luminance in the loggia had they been connected.

josquin

Interview with Jeffrey Herr, House Curator

Post by josquin »

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Does anyone know if the restorers have brought back the original gray-green stucco color? After the 2000-2005 restoration it had the restored color above the cornice and Lloyd's sandstone pink below (see DavidC's LACurbed link above), and I wonder if it's still in that condition.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »