Article: Hollyhock House to reopen in February

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Glad they fixed it up and hope all the people don't wreck it all over again. I hope they turn their attention to the director's cottage which is really a gem of volumes. For $19M they could probably have rebuilt Residence B, another wildly expressionistic composition.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Unbrook, you are correct, there were curtains and portieres in the living room which have been removed. The ones that were there were Lloyd's reproes from memory, done in velour, which was probably not quite as elegant as the original fabric.

While FLW was not fond of curtains, those at Hollyhock are necessary, and should be restored. The portieres that flanked the openings to the anterooms at the east end were balanced by those flanking the Japanese screens at the west end, establishing a type of symmetry along the north/south axis centered on the fireplace.

Matt, I agree that it would be nice to have Residence B rebuilt, but the site of the house is not part of the park, and now houses a large apartment complex. The cost of acquiring the land, demolishing, rebuilding the hillside and house would have been prohibitive. The director's cottage, or Residence A, began as a preliminary design by FLW which RMS developed, and it should be noted as such; it's a good RMS emulation of a FLW design, but it is not FLW.

The money spent on this and earlier 'restorations' is criminal. Illinois spent $5M to restore Dana completely, Steelcase $3M for May. Barnsdall is a case of VIPeeing all over the place. An accounting of the costs over the past 88 years would be interesting.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That's a combination of historic, 1980s and 2015 photographs.

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

Has Residence A been rehabbed? I remember seeing video of the interior from Romanza and it looked horrible.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

No, Residence A continues to look horrible. Here's a link to photos taken three weeks ago.

http://www.flwright.us/FLW210.htm

SDR

Post by SDR »

My favorite photo:

Drawing by RMS ? Lloyd ?

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Looks like Lloyd's.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yup. There may have been an effort to unify while the boss was away; Schindler's boxy tree-line is reminiscent of the one seen here.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That is definitely a Lloyd Wright drawing.

For years, Res. A was used for art classes with little regard to for the building. Seems now to be boarded up and no longer used at all. Sad.

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

I wish more pictures of Residence B existed. I've only seen what was included by Storrer -- and the perspectives here and there.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Kathryn Smith includes a chapter on Res. B in her book. There are a few photos, but not a lot, since it was never a public structure. Edmund Teske lived in the house in the 40s, and took some photos of it in decline. The skylight over the fireplace had been broken out by then. (A friend of mine recalls wild parties held there in the 40s.)

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

One of the oldest Hollyhock docents, years ago, said that she and her husband looked at Residence B when they were house-hunting in the mid-40s and that it was a crash pad for hoboes. This was probably shortly after Barnsdall's death in 1946.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Aline dies 1946; Lloyd is involved in renovations at Olive Hill in 1946. What is the history there ?

SDR

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

My source didn't go into detail. Residence B was never part of Aline's gift and never city property. The outer portions of the block, except the access road, went to her heirs. They sold most of it and did a swap with the city for some of the north side of the block. The last I heard they still owned the east side, facing Vermont.