Looks like the Pew House is for sale...

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SpringGreen

Inflation on $7,850

Post by SpringGreen »

According to an inflation calculator, $7,850 in 1940 would be $104,460.70 in 2005. Not bad. Of course, it looks like they got some of the labor for free.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Indeed, as you point out, adding these photos enhance the site. However, you are in violation of copyright law when you take photos and drawings from publications without permission and post them on the site. I am distressed that passionate as we all are about creative work on this site, that so many scoff at my notes on this topic. If you are an architect, writer, or photographer, you would presumably not take it lightly to find people posting your work on the Internet without asking you for permission. The source of some Wright drawings I have used in my work specifically excludes Internet use because it can so easily be downloaded and passed around once posted.

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

outside in

wright scribbles

Post by outside in »

Wow - so unless Wright scribbled on the drawings in some way he had little or nothing to do with the design?????? Where does that come from?

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

I apologize for not being more clear...'my work' is as a journalist and an author. These are Wright drawings I have gotten permission to reproduce in books and/or in newspaper stories, but not on-line.

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

therman7g

Looking for the Wright buyer ....

Post by therman7g »

CHRIS MARTELL

cmartell@madison.com

SHOREWOOD HILLS - A 1,500-square-foot house on Lake Mendota built for about $7,500 in 1940 is now on the market for $1,550,000, and, despite the inflation, there is interest around the globe.

News that the legendary Pew House is for sale made the Japanese edition of Gentlemen's Quarterly, and one prospective buyer in London is trying to persuade his wife that this is the place for them.

Fully Story:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/i ... 91&ntpid=1#

RJH

Post by RJH »

"...the materials included red tidewater cedar from southern swamps, plywood..."

"For improvements in cabinetry, they used cedar salvaged from water towers in Chicago."

Last time I checked Pew was made out of Red Tidewater "Cypress."

SDR

Post by SDR »

Gernalism ain't whut it usta be, I gess. . .

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

For those who may think the asking price of this house, or indeed

most others in the 'Wright on the Market' section, is in nose bleed

territory I'll pass along this tidbit which came my way.

Pierre Koenig's Case Study House #21 will be up for auction on

Dec. 3rd. The auction house estimates the restored mid-century icon

will fetch 2.5 to 3.5 million dollars. For more info and some nice pics

go to 'wright20.com'.

SDR

Post by SDR »

www.wright20.com

Wow. The Urban Glass House ("Philip Johnson's last design") is pretty rich. . . and the PK Case Study house is grand, in both old and new photos (Studious Head Case 5, indeed !).

Thanks SDR

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

For the curious amongst us. Case Study House #21 by Pierre Koenig

fetched $3,185,600 at auction last Sunday.