Wright's Woolley House Sells in 5 Days

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jhealy

Wright's Woolley House Sells in 5 Days

Post by jhealy »

jhealy

Post by jhealy »

Sorry ... just realized that this news is a few months old.

Jay

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

The interior doesn't seem to offer up much of "the Wright experience".

peterm

Post by peterm »

clydethecat wrote:The interior doesn't seem to offer up much of "the Wright experience".
Maybe that's what it takes for a Wright house to sell in 5 days!...

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

A footnote: Even though the "Encyclopedia of Frank Lloyd Wright" says that Taylor Woolley, the Utah architect and photographer who accompanied FLLW to Italy and then to Taliesin I, was a direct relation of the Oak Park Woolleys, it is not the case.

DB222

Post by DB222 »

Looks like Wright farmed the kitchen design out to Home depot on this one. Elsewhere it seems rather Victorian in its layout.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

As Storrer points out, Woolley is a varient of Emmond, Gale & Parker, probably done on the cheap. Its floor plan hints at the earlier houses, but the scheme seems to have been lost for the most part. Enlarging the second floor and adding a third didn't help. Keep in mind that this house had many indignities visited upon it in its lifetime; it may have been a more comely design originally, more Prairie, less Victorian.

dtc

Post by dtc »

Apparently I'm not interested in early Wright designs.
If I walked by this house I would not look twice at it, in fact it reminds me of numerous homes in Lakewood, Ohio the suburb west of Cleveland, Ohio where we lived for many years.
Yes, I'm sure that conventional kitchen was found appealing by many.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

What sold it, I expect, was the combination of the comfort of a Victorian with the prestige of Wright's name (a huge status thing in Oak Park).

outside in

Post by outside in »

Wright's early work is actually quite fascinating. I believe that many of the early houses have been horribly "remuddled", and very few people have the interest, curiosity and wherewithal to restore them. Case in point - Goodrich. The first photo is from 8 years ago vs. the current state.
I'm quite sure that Wright spent a great deal of time designing these homes and his early skills have been removed by subsequent owners.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

The paint job on the Goodrich residence shocked me on a recent visit to the area. Someone must really like that color.

outside in

Post by outside in »

That is the original color of the house

SDR

Post by SDR »

Counter-intuitive, isn't it -- that he would articulate the form with all of those moldings, then slather nearly the whole thing with a single color ? Another way to distinguish himself from the flock ?

SDR

dtc

Post by dtc »

When did Wright start preaching no paint, wood must breathe. "No painting at all. Wood best preserves itself "?

SDR

Post by SDR »

That ideal, like others in Wright's portfolio, would repeatedly be challenged by certain "realities on the ground," not least of which would be owner preference.

It would be the height of irony to find that the choice made by the dutiful restoration architect and the sensitive owner, based no doubt on evidence found on the house itself, was in fact a careful recreation not of Wright's choice but that of a willful and impatient client, who let the architect get almost to the goal post and then intervened at the last moment to assert his own taste . . .

SDR