Interior perspective drawings of Usonians?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Interior perspective drawings of Usonians?

Post by peterm »

After looking at the lovely Niedecken illustrations of the interior of Robie, it occurred to me that I couldn't remember seeing any Usonian house interior perspective drawings.

There certainly must be some?

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

Iirc, the Hoult project has an interior rendering -- as do Coop Homestead and Suntop. Though, they're more like cutting through the exterior wall to see in than being inside the building and looking out.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Thanks! Here's a start (courtesy of SDR's previous posts...):

Suntop (note the Tinkertoy structure on the floor :wink:)

Hoult:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Also Blackbourn/Schwartz.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Listed in Taschen as LIFE House for Albert R Blackbourn:

The rare birds-eye axonometric section drawing.

The Cooperative Homesteads project, shown in An American Architecture:

The ubiquitous hassock, here with unique sled feet rather than solid or cross-shaped base. Don't ask what that thing is on the bench outside . . .

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

Thank you! Please keep them coming if you find more of them.

These drawings are invaluable for showing that unique combination of minimalism and relaxed comfort that one sees occasionally, especially in photographs of his own house(s).

That "thing" outside? Isn't it his answer to a chaise lounge? A blanket or towel draped down from the bench with a pillow for the head. So comfortable to look at, but probably impossible for anything other than a photo op...

SDR

Post by SDR »

So far we see only one drawing that isn't a cutaway with some exterior elements showing. Perhaps the studio felt that this helped to convey the desired inside-outside nature of Wright's designs . . . ? (My word brain isn't fully connected today.)

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

Of course, in addition, it also increases the apparent size of the space and allows for more interior details to be shown...

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

Interior perspectives -- especially of Usonians -- seems to be quite rare. I can't find anymore in Taschen -- or, at least, from what I've scanned from it.

Here's an interior perspective from the Allen house, in the mean time.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, there are more than a couple of Prairie-period interior perspectives. Dana is a well-known one (or more ?); here's a colorful view of the
C Thaxter Shaw remodel project (Montreal, 1906):

SDR

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

. . . and interestingly many of these interiors posted here are for projects with potential for multiple units: cloverleaf, life dream house, coop homesteads.

Wasn't there an interior perspective of the Arthur Miller/Monroe proposal?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, indeedy:

From 1952, the Raul Bailleres project, Acapulco:

From 1940, the John Nesbitt project:

From the early period, this luscious drawing of Susan Dana:

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

Speaking of Nesbitt, I forgot I had this.

Remodel of Nesbitt using concrete blocks.

pmahoney

Davidson Farm Units - Long Island 1932

Post by pmahoney »

An interior perspective was drawn for the Long Island Farm Coop nicknamed 'Mary' in 1932 for Walter V. Davidson. It is an interior view looking out a folding window wall rather than a cut away.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. I haven't found a copy of that one . . .

Actually, Sijistan is a remodeling of Ennis, drawn for Mr Nesbitt after he declined to build the house in Carmel. Here's a second drawing . . .

Not many will have seen these office spaces for the Lenkurt Electric project of 1955:

The Johnson Wax chairs have been revived, with slightly sloping backs.

Here are the Heritage-Henredon drawings of the same year:

Curtis Besinger, Working with Mr Wright -- What It Was Like, pp 280-81:

Last edited by SDR on Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.