Now and Then

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Now and Then

Post by peterm »

I stumbled onto a concept for a thread after looking at five vintage (what year is that car, SDR?) exterior photos of our house (so far, I have only been able to locate seven, in total...).

So I took photos from approximately the same vantage points (in retrospect, I certainly should have been more exact!...), in order to observe how the house has changed, whether by modification, transformation and evolution of landscaping, or additional structures which may have altered the surrounding environment.

Of course, to do this properly (and obsessively), one would need to determine the exact time of day and date which the original photo was taken to get truly accurate results!

My photos will come soon.

I would welcome and encourage others to contribute their Now and Then by photographing their own Wright house or any Wright (related?...) building, attempting to capture the building from similar locations as found in period photographs... (This, of course, could also include interior shots done in a similar manner)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Are you referring to the photo in House & Home in 1958? That is a 1957 Ford.

The early photo of the Blossom south facade posted by outside in was a revelation. Although the house hasn't been altered extensively, the extent to which it has changed is not in any way an improvement. Photos of Freeman would have to span decades; it was changed by alteration and deterioration regularly from the day it was completed.

peterm

Post by peterm »

No, the photos that are on the way are earlier than the House and Home photo.

I believe it's a 1955 Ford, but maybe you guys can help me confirm that?

SDR

Post by SDR »

This photo ?

As Roderick and I have maintained, that is a '57 Ford station wagon. Is there another early photo of the house with a car ?

I'd love to see the "after" shot of the Lamberson interior, to match this "before" one:

peterm

Post by peterm »

You are right, that is a '57 Ford (from the '58 House and Home article). The color photos with another Ford in the driveway which will be coming are even earlier.

Next time I am there, I will duplicate that interior vantage point (the unfortunate interior is by a previous owner circa 1990, not the Lambersons).

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here is Peter's first photo set. The earlier Ford, a yellow 2-door wagon, can be compared to these images: http://imgarcade.com/1/1952-ford-station-wagon/

Image 1a

Image 1b

Image 2a

Image 2b

Image 3a

Image 3b

Image 4a

Image 4b

Image 5a

Image 5b

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Great idea! And I hope other homeowners chime in with their own 'Then & Now' pictures, also.

I think it would help, though, if besides numbering each photo pair that they are dated (where known) too.

Great to see how things have changed over time, Peter!

David

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

One striking point is that the cars have dated but the house hasn't.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Thanks, SDR, for taking the time to post photos again!

I just realized that there are two different Fords in these photos, so they were not all taken at the same time. That's a good idea, David, to date the photos. I'm also taking the liberty of reversing the images in order to be consistent with the title of the thread, "Now and Then".

Just for future obsessive fun, I am going to attempt to more exactly duplicate vantage points and cropping...

Image October 30th, 2014

Image circa 1952

Image October 30th, 2014

Image circa 1950s

Image October 30th, 2014

Image circa 1950s

Image October 30th, 2014

Image circa 1955

Image October, 2014

Image circa 1950s

SDR

Post by SDR »

Third photo from the end, labeled "circa 1955," shows what is likely a '55 Ford two-door sedan.

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

Lamberson house "Now" (Thanksgiving Day, November 27th, 2014):

"Then" (Circa 1980):

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Just the rug removal and lack of clutter has done absolute wonders for things - never mind all the rest that has been accomplished. Thanks for posting these comparatives - and congratulations, Peter!

David

Patryko

Post by Patryko »

Peter: Thanksgiving in your beautiful home must have been great! Awesome work!!!