The More Things Change...

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

This needs some time to puzzle with the actual drawings. I'm working here at the House with photocopies. This week I will take time to see them (including #21 in catalog) at the Museum. However, the plans I have in the House are different from that drawing: a more tentative hand & an exaggerated tilted S. I have to go to the College architects to see more clearly than the photocopy here at the House. This careful study was on my schedule of chores anyway. I'll send digital images along as I can.

The drawing (#22) is in Athena Tacha's collection and I have not actually seen it.

Your other question was about the W-J Taliesin apprentice, Ted Bower. He was on the site a good deal of the time and stayed with the Weltzheimer family on each extended visit. I suspect they would have been lost without him. The AMAM set of plans has red pencil changes, presumably by Ted. However, he didn't do much drafting at Taliesin, so our answer is somewhere else. I'll get back to you. Palli

Palli Davis Holubar

This needs some time to puzzle with the actual drawings. I'm working here at the House with photocopies. This week I will take time to see them (including #21 in catalog) at the Museum. However, the plans I have in the House are different from that plot drawing: a more tentative hand & an exaggerated tilted S. I have to go to the College architects to see more clearly than the photocopy here at the House. This careful study was on my schedule of chores anyway. I'll send digital images along as I can.

The drawing (#22) is in Athena Tacha's collection and I have not actually seen it.

Your other question was about the W-J Taliesin apprentice, Ted Bower. He was on the site a good deal of the time and stayed with the Weltzheimer family on each extended visit. I suspect they would have been lost without him. After our House he went to Usonia. The Tacha & AMAM sets of plans have red pencil changes, presumably by Ted. However, he didn't do much drafting at Taliesin, so our answer is probably somewhere else. I'll get back to you. Palli

Palli Davis Holubar

This needs some time to puzzle with the actual drawings. I'm working here at the House with full size photocopies. This week I will take time to see the actual sheets (including #21 in catalog) at the Museum. However, the plans I have in the House are different from that plot drawing: a more tentative hand & an exaggerated tilted S. Again, I have to go to the College architects to see more clearly than the photocopy here at the House. This careful study was on my schedule of chores anyway. I'll send digital images along as I can.

The drawing (#22) is in Athena Tacha's collection and I have not studied it.

Your other question was about the Taliesin apprentice, Ted Bower. He was on the site a good deal of the time and stayed with the Weltzheimer family on each extended visit. I suspect they would have been lost without him. After our House he went to Usonia. The Tacha & AMAM sets of plans have red pencil changes, presumably by Ted. However, he didn't do much drafting at Taliesin, so our draftsman answer is probably somewhere else. I'll get back to you. Palli

Palli Davis Holubar

This needs some time to puzzle with the actual drawings. I'm working here at the House with full size photocopies. This week I will take time to see the actual sheets (including #21 in catalog) at the Museum. However, the plans I have in the House are different from that plot drawing: a more tentative hand & an exaggerated tilted S. Again, I have to go to the College architects to see more clearly than the photocopy here at the House. This careful study was on my schedule of chores anyway. I'll send digital images along as I can.

Your other question was about the Taliesin apprentice, Ted Bower. He was on the site a good deal of the time and stayed with the Weltzheimer family on each extended visit. I suspect they would have been lost without him. After our House he went to Usonia. The Tacha & AMAM sets of plans have red pencil changes, presumably by Ted. However, he didn't do much drafting at Taliesin, so our draftsman answer is probably somewhere else. I'll get back to you. Palli

Palli Davis Holubar

Palli Davis Holubar

Palli Davis Holubar

Palli Davis Holubar

Palli Davis Holubar

can't seem to transmit to you this temporary answer

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'd missed the wonderful discussion of Wright S's until today. Those seem to show up in some designers' hands from the late twenties (?) on. As to Wright's office style -- it was certainly dependent on who was on the boards; you can't hold the man's hand while he letters (or draws, for that matter) !

Of course, some of Wright's formal display typography (titles, book covers, etc) in later years was drawn entirely with drafting instruments, by the look of it. It would be wonderful to have a complete list published someday. . .I can't say I actually know Wright's lettering, even after all these years.

It can be presumed that Lloyd Wright made some drawings for his dad in the twenties. I think I've seen this S on some of the desert and block projects. And as for Lloyd's own work, here is a drawing from 1928 (the Navarro house) c/o Alan Weintraub's book on the architect (page eighteen):

RJH

Post by RJH »

After discovering that all the Laurent drawings had the exact same

SDR

Post by SDR »

Very interesting information. I suppose by "working drawings" Mr Laurent meant a preliminary set of plans and elevations. We all know a multi-page set of construction documents takes more than two hours to produce. . .

Another possibility is that this was something already drawn for another client ? And, I hate to nit-pick, but because Wright drew this S doesn't necessarily mean that no one else could. . .does it ? Could we assume that at least some of the apprentices would have tried to emulate the Old Man's style ?

What a pleasure to hear of a perfect accord between client and architect. I'm glad Mr Laurent was pleased with the result, even if it did cost him a considerable expansion of his budget. I am familiar with Chicago common brick now, having been shown a mid-fifties house in the Chicago area by architect Edward Dart in which this brick was used. A lovely color and texture. . .

SDR

RJH

Post by RJH »

SDR,

I appreciate hearing your opinion.

Mr. Laurent told me that they were NOT

SDR

Post by SDR »

All most interesting ! I suppose Mr Laurent might have collapsed time in his memory, or remembered one meeting when there were two -- but it's not for me to question something I have no knowledge of. Perhaps Mr Wright really was a demon draftsman, on top of his other unique talents. Others have corroborated the Fallingwater story, more or less. Wright cautioned the young architect never to draw until the building was clear in the mind -- and I think he had concocted Fallingwater quite clearly before it was suddenly time to produce something.

It's wonderful that you have the original drawings, and that they match those of the other house. I certainly applaud your work; it's a pleasure to be in touch. . .

SDR

allwrightythen1

Post by allwrightythen1 »

Just for kicks I looked up the Laurent house on zillow.com (a crude way to get a snapshot of home values for specific areas) and with the limited info available, the home came up with a value range between $132,602 and $212,483 the median price being about $160,000.

http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?o ... op=5518441

Living close to Rockford, Illinois, I can tell you it's not the most desirable city to live in or around (the city itself is pretty depressed.) The most expensive home listed close by the Laurent House clocks in at around $385,000.

Given the downturn in the housing market, I think it's a stretch to ask $2 million dollars for a nice 3 bedroom house in Rockford. They're having a hard time selling the Heurtley House for $3.9 million, and that's THE nicest home on THE nicest street in Oak Park Illinois.