Sweeton Window Wall and Roof Resto/Rehabilitation

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
dtc

Post by dtc »

Dan,
The house and the Wright community is glad you are tackling this pressing project. A garage can be built at a later date if you still decide you need one.
It does appear your work is complete for this year, and it is looking fine. April will be here before you know it, and all the trades can continue on.

Will you attend the conference this month?

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks for the kind words Dan.
Christine and I will be in Phoenix.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Fresh photo of exterior paint, added to a previous post (see page 8 ).

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Dan:

Would it be possible to paint the aluminum flashing on the chimney mass, to try and make it blend in and disappear somewhat? I know that there are primers made for going over aluminum. For example: PPG Seal Grip® Acrylic Universal Primer/Sealer

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Ok .... make that copper flashing ..... and cancel the painting idea .... hahahaha.

David

DRN

Post by DRN »

Interestingly, in preparation for the paint, I used a mild bleach and water solution to remove some green growth from the shady portions of the block and found that it puts a pleasing verdigris patina on the copper which has mellowed to a brown since it was installed a few years ago.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's hard to argue that the flashing isn't rather large in this case -- because of the size of the block courses, of course. What is the tradition in the painting of such flashing when it becomes too prominent (or for some other reason) ?

Naturally, one prefers the unadulterated thing, in any case -- as a matter of principle if nothing else. Still . . . the block is painted . . .

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

Wright's drawings specified copper, but terne metal (lead and tin coated steel painted red), was used instead presumably for reasons of cost... a small bit of non stepped terne metal remains above and to left of the kitchen door on the bedroom #1 roof. The original flashing at the masonry mass was stepped and followed the block mortar joints, but held closer to the roof surface than my version. A previous owner of the house removed the original terne metal flashing, and installed the "low profile" non-stepped 3" high copper flashing seen in the 2008 photo SDR posted on this page. The original flashing and the later low profile flashing were prone to leaking as evidenced from wall streaks when we bought the house. My suspicion was that the freeze thaw cycling particularly in accumulated snow and ice beneath the scuppers was working its way into the block through the reglets cut into the block so close to the roof surface. I chose practicality over appearance raising the reglets, and have learned to accept the more prominent flashing as a necessary evil...and I can't bring myself to paint copper. Prior to doing this, I noted that several other Usonians have sprouted more robust flashing over the years.

DRN

Post by DRN »

An in-process photo of the new French doors in the woodworker's shop:

We should be getting back under way again when April begins.
Now we must pack up and "move out" of the living and dining areas, which means almost all of my library and much of our furniture will be in storage off-site for 5 months. We will live in the partitioned off bedroom wing with access to the dust protected kitchen via a passage through an entry area closet.

dtc

Post by dtc »

Dan, Christine,

Dianne just saw your latest pic. of the doors.
She wanted me to give you two all the credit you deserve.

We are both very impressed. Your work and dedication is contagious.

Soon you will find yourself coasting to the finish line.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

What kind of wood are you using on the doors?
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DRN

Post by DRN »

dtc and Dianne: Thanks for the words of encouragement, we're looking forward to relaxing with a drink or two in Milwaukee this Fall and sharing "war stories".

Paul: The French doors and the window wall framing to be replaced are being rebuilt with Douglas Fir, much of it salvaged from a barn that was torn down.

pharding

Post by pharding »

dtc wrote:Thanks SDR for posting these pics. .......
DTC Your work is exquisite and consistent with the highest preservation standards.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

DRN

Post by DRN »

Its Spring! Here we go...

Reopening the temporary enclosure.

Constructing a dust enclosure for the kitchen. 3/4" OSB is being laid on the floor to protect the slab.

Protectives going on over the built-ins. Nailers are applied to the pine shelves (not the redwood fascias) with a few finish nails. The holes will be puttied at the end of work.