Frank Lego Wright?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
hoffmanj

Post by hoffmanj »

The 21st century version is a computer game called Minecraft. My son plays it as much as he's allowed, building virtual buildings and cities block by block. Much better than shooting and killing things, IMO.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I have Brick by Brick -- How Lego rewrote the rules of innovation and conquered the global toy industry (David C Robertson with Bill Breen, © 2013 by Crown Business, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House. Inc, New York) from the local library. "Frank Lloyd Wright" and "The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, Inc" do not appear in the index. Stay tuned . . .

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Having finished my scan of Brick by Brick (see above), I can report:

The Lego Architecture program was initiated in the early Aughts when Chicago architect Adam Reed Tucker showed a company representative his models of the Empire State Building and the John Hancock Center. The next time they met Tucker had put together a representative LEGO kit of the Sears Tower. The kit included a booklet with information on the building and its architect (not named in Robertson's book). One of the attractions to the LEGO board was that, while a typical box of seventy LEGO bricks retails for $7.99, an Architecture box of the same number of bricks would sell for $19.99.

Fast forward to the Fallingwater kit. No mention is made of dealings between LEGO and the FLLW Foundation. The eight-hundred-piece kit sells for $99.99, making it and other advanced architecture kits "very, very profitable" for the company (p 210). Other architects were recruited to design other Architecture kits, including Slovenian Roc Z Kobe (the Big Ben Clock Tower kit) and German architect Michael Hepp, who designed the "French Villa Savoye set" (again, no architect mentioned by the author.) Indeed, the name Frank Lloyd Wright appears only once in the story . . .

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

If LEGO really wanted to honor architecture and architects, they might start with a set of cubic blocks. Then aspiring builders could make any forms they wanted -- including semi-realistic models of Wright's Textile Block designs, or fanciful variations thereof ? After all, this was roughly the method by which Wright himself was "taught" architecture.

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

LEGO has gone so far afield from its own ingenious patented system that it borders on irrelevance:

http://lego.gizmodo.com/i-am-so-going-t ... 1585798176

Car models?! Really!? With as many specialized custom pieces made to make the blocks "look" like the car, they might as well have just made a car model like the Revell and MPC models we assembled with volatile toxic glue and spray paint as kids. If LEGO had gone to as much effort making custom shapes for the Wright buildings they might have resembled them.

LEGO was never meant to be a "build-it-like-the-picture" kit...it was meant to be a vehicle for creativity and exploration...this is mindless parroting.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, it seems rather a shame. A small family business making wooden toys was transformed when the idea for the plastic blocks was born, forty or more years ago. The bean-counters entered the picture at one point, and never left. By the 'nineties all manner of toys and games had been hatched; human figures, first radically out of scale with the building blocks and later modified, vehicles and transformer-type creatures with some motility and interchangeability of parts, electronic games, tie-ins with movies, etc etc.

The company almost lost it, a dozen years ago, over this segmentation; insufficient cost control and lack of communication were apparently partly to blame. A retrenchment tool place. The Architecture line was hatched amid a move to reduce the number of custom blocks and the total number of parts in a box -- oddly, as there are a lot of new shapes, poor as they are, in each of those kits. But with a low number of parts per unit relative to price point, the lines have been very profitable.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This post about children's toys is beginning to sound like an episode of "The Big Bang Theory," a trip to Stuart's comic book store. Isn't there a biblical quote about adults setting aside childish things?

DRN

Post by DRN »

This post about children's toys is beginning to sound like an episode of "The Big Bang Theory,"...
Bazinga!

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant wrote:Isn't there a biblical quote about adults setting aside childish things?
(1 Corinthians 13:11)

"When I was a child, I was speaking as a child, I was led as a child, I was thinking as a child, but when I became a man, I ceased these childish things."

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/08/07/lego-a ... lding-set/

As the subject is apparently of little interest to readers, I'll leave this post-script -- for what it's worth.

I learned in this story that there was an architect's LEGO line in the 'sixties, with blocks 1/3 the height of the normal block, so more detailed structures could be built. The new monochromatic architect's set went on sale in Europe and the UK . . .

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Not to beat a dead horse:

http://archinect.com/news/article/10709 ... ion-stones

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/08/20/lego-g ... interview/

They shoot (dead) horses, don't they . . . ? 8)

SDR