Wright goes to Arkansas

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

The Robert Windfohr residence project (Fort Worth, 1948-50) shares characteristics with the Bailleres project, according to a birds-eye perspective on pp 296-7 of FLLW Architect (MoMA, 1994). One difference is that, at Windfohr, the principal roof opening is glazed, apparently with concentric rings of glass tube; two secondary roofs have a skylight band of similar glazing.

SDR

Unbrook

Miller Monroe House

Post by Unbrook »

Lets not forget a similarity to the house designed for Arthur Miller and Marilyn Monroe. I have always felt that the living room space is one of the great unrealized rooms.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Right. Let's see -- where is that illustrated ?

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah, yes -- Taschen. Unlike the other projects we've mentioned, the drawings here are from 1957 -- not in Howe's hand, I believe.

This time, the skylight is dressed (structured) in circles, reminiscent of a version of the Guggenheim design. B B Pfeiffer says
this is actually the Windfohr house "designed for a New England setting rather than Texas." The Windfohr drawing lacks boulders -- but
here they are again.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Frank Lloyd Wright-designed home arrives in Lowell, Arkansas

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/27/49 ... -home.html
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Tom

Post by Tom »

http://crystalbridges.org/architecture/ ... t/process/

Siting of steel in floor in phase 2 video ... very exciting!
Siting of support ends of stair tension rods in phase 3
The next deconstruction video they post may show the anatomy of that roof.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I haven't successfully accessed the site Paul linked above. I'll try again. In the meantime, this video, which I hadn't see before, explains the house very nicely, despite compromised production values. (The music is pleasant enough; a steady-cam would have been a plus.) I suppose that a video tour like this one is the only way to make the house comprehensible to one who hasn't been there. It was a revelation to me: the seemingly unnecessary ceiling height of the main space is instantly explained as one gains the head of the stairs; thereafter, the second-level sill height becomes the dominant new horizontal plane -- a postwar realization of the Prairie-period exterior treatment, made whole and three-dimensional at last.

Delightful and welcoming spaces are carved out of the volume between the second floor and the roof, with the encircling parapet cut away as needed to access exterior balconies. Mr Wright must have been quite pleased with himself, throughout his career, to have found ways to reassign the horizontal lines, planes and zones of a residence, in a way that permitted enhanced values both aesthetic and practical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5kujjVwUro#t=12

The deconstruction videos are very helpful, aren't they, Tom !

The enhanced access to this house, once it is reconstructed and opened to visitors, will have a positive effect on the public's perception of Wright's accomplishment, surely. It is moves like this which pave the way for the continuation of Wright's "second career," it seems to me. If prospective owners can't have the real thing, they'll resort to second-hand imitations and worse.

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

(sighting .... I should learn how to spell.)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah -- that makes a bit more sense.

Yes, we're still wondering about that roof/ceiling. Meanwhile, the cutout window panels seem to be coming off the building nicely.

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Unbrook

Arkansas

Post by Unbrook »

Any time frame for completion of the reconstruction?

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

The Chicago Tribune Travel section reported that June 1 is the grand opening for the Bachmann -Wilson house in Bentonville. Time will tell.

DRN

Post by DRN »

An update on the reconstruction of the Bachman-Wilson house at Crystal Bridges in AK:

http://crystalbridges.org/blog/bachman- ... se-update/

Videos of the earlier deconstruction in NJ:

http://crystalbridges.org/architecture/ ... t/process/

outside in

Post by outside in »

I'm a little confused - new block, new brick, new slab, new roof framing - what, exactly has been moved?