FLW vs. the FBI

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

FLW vs. the FBI

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I just happened to stumble across this article on the web. The title really does not encapsulate the wide swath of history covered in this article.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/08/03/ ... yd-wright/
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

The article was an interesting read.

I located a letter to Wright regarding the FHA's disapproval of flat roofs in relation to then-planned faculty housing at Florida Southern College. The letter, contained within the archives of the college, is linked here: http://archives.flsouthern.edu/cdm/sing ... ers/id/220

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I believe this was posted here before.

I dismiss any writer on Wright who uses "Many Masks" as a source, and misuses the word 'bemused.'

RA

Post by RA »

Wright might have been bemused or amused or both. Not exactly clear what the writers intent was. Also, the writers use of "noisome" will not go over well on this site with many of the chatters. However, after all it is Counterpunch.

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

I got the Wright FBI file back in 1988. Of course it is heavily "redacted," or blacked out. Most of it is concerned with the federal court case in Madison involving draft resistance by Taliesin apprentices during World War II, and whether Wright swayed the young men.

A second theme is his affiliation with "subversive" civil liberties groups and pacifism. There are suspicions about his praise of the Soviet Union after a visit there, and his showing of Russian films at Taliesin. The deportation of Olgivanna was sought by Wright's second wife, and apparently Phil La Follette thought it was a good idea temporarily, to take the heat off Wright.
But he refused to go along with it.

I don't think you have to posit a right-wing conspiracy led by Hoover to explain why he didn't get federal building jobs and why the FHA wouldn't finance homes of his design in Kalamazoo and other locations, including developments with round lots. Simple stupidity and the conventional bureaucratic mind of the time is explanation enough.

These notes are from memory. I gave my copy of the file to Marcus Weston, who had not seen it.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

RonMcCrea wrote:the conventional bureaucratic mind of the time is explanation enough.
Ron,
Are you implying that this has improved over time?
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

No. But I don't restrict that to government. I told a group of bankers last year that Wright disliked two kinds of people -- contractors, because they told him that his projects couldn't be built; and bankers, because they told him that his projects wouldn't be built.