Ruth Keith House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Macrodex

Ruth Keith House

Post by Macrodex »

So, according to the Legacy record, someone built this house in 2004 [Wayne McBroom cottage]. Does anyone have any pictures of the house? The only link I could find is long dead.

krietzerjak

Post by krietzerjak »

It takes a while to load up, but there is one exterior picture and two interior views here:
http://www.trianglemodernisthouses.com/wright.htm

They are in chronological order, so it is near the bottom.

Andy

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

Been a while since I've been to that site.

Interesting that other projects I was unaware of had been built.

DRN

Post by DRN »

For those who access Facebook (I don't), this Facebook page has multiple pictures of the cottage Mr. McBroom built in 2004 based on the Ruth Keith Cottage.

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.mcbroom

Maybe someone will copy some pics of the cottage here for posterity.

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

DRN wrote:For those who access Facebook (I don't) ...
You should - we have a very active Wright group over there.

In the meantime, that house looks like a museum dedicated to Mr. Wright - what's the consensus on how closely it follows the Keith plan?
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

DRN

Post by DRN »

If I recall correctly, with the exception of mirroring the plan, the McBroom cottage design is pretty much as it was with Keith, with no apparent form, material, or detail substitutions. As a contrast, the Newman 1939/Berno 2002 house had significant changes from the original:

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/0 ... ede16.html

Newman was to have a flat roof, brick, and board and batten a'la Goetsch- Winckler; as built for Berno, sloped roofs, CMU, lapped siding, and interior drywall were substituted.

DRN

Re: Ruth Keith House

Post by DRN »

A 2001 article in Forbes about the TAA Legacy version of the Ruth Keith Cottage built for Wayne McBroom:
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2001/0219 ... b2b03d5265

SDR

Post by SDR »

The Forbes piece mentions the Farm Unit and Guest House for Lloyd Lewis, and here is the latter, as redesigned for Lewis a decade or so after the original construction. Apparently the slightly corbeled board walls were enough to put the guy off---but at last we have the mini-Usonian par excellence ?

SDR

Post by SDR »

The elevation shows twin doors made of boards matching the "corbeled" planking beneath the windows. So, the doors would have to be made to swing properly despite leaning outward. Hmm. Maybe I would have balked at that, myself . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Nice catch regarding those doors.
At first, looking at your posted section through the carport: I thought those south facing walls might be vertical.
But looking closer you can see that the 2x4 stud shows the "corbeled" wall ghosted in behind it.
The window, in the drawing, passes behind the stud too.
Gheeze - how would it be possible to make that door swing?

But going back to that carport 2x4.
Extra support for carport.
Something like the support columns at Jacobs.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Same detailing as Pew, which apparently works.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Well
We need to check that out!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Does Pew contain a door "cut from" a corbeled wall ? We see this in a Usonian from time to time---but with plumb walls.

The (glazed) doors at Auldbrass probably represent this condition at its Wrightian extreme.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Auldbrass doors are standard construction tipped slightly inward, doors and frames alike, so that when opened outward, they have to be hooked in place to keep from slamming shut.