Iconic Legends:The 10 Greatest Modern Architects of Our Time

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
lang

Iconic Legends:The 10 Greatest Modern Architects of Our Time

Post by lang »

http://freshome.com/2012/08/17/iconic-l ... -our-time/

I know all these lists are all subjective, but really! How does Gehry rate the #1 spot over Frank Lloyd Wright? You can see Wright's influence in the work of many architects and in the layouts of modern floorplans. Gehry's done some spectacular buildings, but even so, his body of work doesn't even touch Wright's.
I guess its fortunate he rates a #2 spot. A. Aalto, E. Saarinen, and R.M. Schindler didn't even make the list!

Lang

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

1. Frank Lloyd Wright
2. Alvar Aalto
3. Rudolph Schindler
4. Eero Saarinen
5. H. H. Richardson
6. Henri Louis Sullivan
7. Sverre Fehn
8. Will Bruder
9. Ludwig Mies Vander Rohe
10. Kenzo Tange ...
... off the cuff

Of those on the posted list, Gehry (whose work will not age well), Pei (the most overrated architect), Hadid (who seems to be on an eternal 'trip') and Johnson (who on "60 Minutes" accurately described himself as a whore) don't belong. Tom Wright is an unusual choice, but interesting. I have mixed feelings about Renzo Piano.

DRN

Post by DRN »

It would seem the definition "of our time" is from just preceding the earliest death of one of the architects on the list (1959) to the present day.

I found it a surprise to see E. Fay Jones missing from the list. I was more surprised Santiago Calatrava was not listed as dramatic as his work is to the general public....I would put it on a higher plane than the work of some of the others on the the list.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Add

Le Corbusier
Louis Kahn
Stephen Holl
Kenga Kuma

Delete

Fehn
Bruder
Tange
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

modern-eyes

Post by modern-eyes »

Oscar Niemeyer is missing too.......

SDR

Post by SDR »

To rate (i.e., to compare) the famous and accomplished -- more accomplished than we, no doubt ? -- is tempting, and perhaps inevitable. But it is essentially a meaningless and a fruitless endeavor, saying more about the lister than about the listed. Each of these men added something to the collective modernist achievement; deciding who is more worthy of praise is beneath both us and them.

That said -- fire away !

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

"Of our time" is so ambiguous.
Isn't it much clearer and easier to say of a certain generation, century, or decade?
But seriously, Philip Johnson more iconic than Mies? And if Wright and Mies are considered to be of our time, how could Le Corbusier not be mentioned?

As entertaining as it might be to rate and compare, these lists are generally an excercise in futility.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

True, Top 10 lists are useless. Usually they end up being My Personal Favorites. The American Film Institute publishes a Best 100 movies list yearly, apparently to get people to notice the AFI. Means nothing. Although I did notice on the above list that Swiss architect, Peter Zumthor, who has designed a massive replacement for LACMA that resembles (from the air) a giant oil spill next to the La Brea Tar Pits, was not included, even though Christopher Hawthorne, LA Times architecture critic, has been trumpeting the design for months. One hopes the fund raising for that latest indignity will not get off the ground.

The age of the idiosyncratic architect, or starchitect (don't you just love the silliness of modern culture?), dates back to the late 19th century. Without the likes of H. H. Richardson and Frank Furness, what would modern architecture be? Selecting The 10 Best "of our time," if one were to go back to the fountainhead, would be futile.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Zumthor's proposal in site plan looks poised to devour Bruce Goff's Asian Pavilion in one gulp:

http://www.designboom.com/architecture/ ... -the-past/

Quite a behemoth to behold, but I suspect the view from the proposed building to Goff's and the garden that surrounds it will be pleasing. The Swiss architect "embracing" Goff's work?
I guess it is a consolation that the Asian Pavilion has no transparent fenestration (just Kalwall) and views of the new building will not pose a distraction for guests viewing the art.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Flying in to LAX will provide one with a bird's eye view of Zumthor's channeling of Hans Arp paintings:
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/pain ... tails.aspx

http://archinect.com/news/gallery/75004 ... -picks-319#

Rood

Post by Rood »

In the late 1940's Fernand Leger was painting two-dimensional murals of similar design on the walls of the United Nations Buildings in New York City. Then President Harry S. Truman dubbed Leger's work as reminding him of "scrambled eggs".

http://christianbjone.net/?page_id=774

JimM

Post by JimM »

Roderick Grant wrote:the La Brea Tar Pits
Only in LA.... "the the tar tar pits"!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

... or the former L A Angels, The The Angels Angels.