2ND BEST AMERICAN ARCHITECT

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JimM

Post by JimM »

Interesting compilation of everyones favorites list, but none bear relation to the attributes which defined Wright; specifically "genius" which can only produce such a breadth of ideas. "2nd" best is fun, but being one tic away from "1st" implies a close race-which is certainly not the case.

IMO, "2nd" would be the unknown (at least to me) architects and artists of Japan who not only contributed to Wright's clarity expressing his genius, but who also have influenced just about all practicing architects everywhere since. The ancient Greeks, Romans, Assyrians, Egyptians, etc, all developed variants of classical architecture with minimal precedent ("modern" in their time)-and we still copy them as we are beginning to copy Wright simply for the lack of new ideas. Buildings as pure sculpture are not architecture, would you compare Gehry with Eiffel? Or Gaudi? Not even Rodia! And as pleasing as they may "look" and as well meaning as the Dahlin, Rusts, etc, works are-what is new or interesting in them architectutally? We continue to confuse style with art. I think only Lautner had truly new and original ideas comparable to Wright, even more so than the Neutras, Schindlers and other mid century moderns.

I admire many of those listed. In addition James Cutler, Cliff May, Legoretta and Pier Luigi Nervi come to mind - and what about Sullivan who made skyscrapers look "tall" organically for the first time?

I thoroughly enjoy the pattern of incongruity that can appreciate Wright with the same mind(s) that see value in Gehry and his ilk. Yes, I'm an unapologetic hardliner when it comes to architectural criticism....but when you find something that trumps, not comes "close" to, Frank, let me know! :wink:

SpringGreen

Post by SpringGreen »

It's fun to see everyone's responses; here's one architect for the title of "2nd best" that we've forgotten, I think: Sullivan (depending on where you come down on the "he was a designer, not an architect" argument, I guess); his use of light seemed esp. informative in the creation of space.

Although personally, I don't subscribe to the best artist/architect/work of art idea. I think they can all sort of hover near the top. Makes for interesting discussions.

As for non-US architects, Olbrich stands out in the early 20th Century as a favorite of mine, although if we're talking "greatest" (of the 20th C), we'd have to include the biggies like Corbusier, Aalto, and more than I can think of.

As for living, I think Tadao Ando's work is fantastic, and I'm interested to see more of it. I would need to know more to really comment about great living American architects.

I am surprised no one said
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Wright's spaces are magical, and it's hard to imagine any other architect competing with him on that score. But other architects as diverse as Lutyens, MacIntosh, Tsien/Williams, Rapson or Hardenburgh have shown sensitivity to site, scale and materials on a par with the master. Aalto's Villa Mairia, Sanyatsalo Town Hall and his own residence evince a mastery of materials and siting that places him in FLW's league. As different from FLW and one another as Tadao Ando and Cass Gilbert are, they both have/had such a sure mastery of scale that they cannot be ignored. (Gilbert may have been bogged down in classicism, but no one did it better.) Will Bruder has demonstrated repeatedly that innovation in form did not end with FLW, and his use of materials is impeccable. Determining second, third, fourth, etc. is not, in the end, anything more than an idle, but harmless, pastime. Frank Lloyd Wright may have been to architecture what Beethoven was to music, but that doesn't mean we cannot enjoy the efforts of Brahms, Schubert, Mendelsohn, Grieg or even an occasional guilty pleasure like Ethelbert Nevin. It's the Snoop Doggs, Black Eyed Peas and Marilyn Mansons that we have to ward off.

guestnow

Gehry?

Post by guestnow »

Gehry as #2? For his ingenious plot to design a building that can reflect the sun and cause other objects to burn, he might count as #1 real-life comic-book supervillain. If there ever will be a real Gotham City, they'd have an architect in Gehry. If there was a Lexcorp and they needed an architect on their payroll? Same man.

guestnow

Post by guestnow »

Roderick Grant wrote:It's the Snoop Doggs, Black Eyed Peas and Marilyn Mansons that we have to ward off.

...and the "Marilyn Mansions" they build.

Richard

Post by Richard »

Hey, don't be dissing my homey Snoop Dogg now. In the immortal words of Vanilla Ice "There is no accounting for taste..."
Homeowner

therman7g

WBG

Post by therman7g »

No votes for Walter/Marion Griffin?

Griffin's Sydney legacy is being given fresh focus, thanks to an acquisition by the National Library of Australia. It has just bought the largest collection of Griffin's architectural drawings, plans and photographs still in private hands.

They came from the family of the late Eric Nicholls, Griffin's Australian business partner. Nicholls took over the architect's Sydney practice in 1935 when Griffin left Australia for India. Griffin died at 61 in 1937 after falling from a scaffold.

"This collection could have easily ended up in North America," says Linda Groom, the library's photographic curator. "There are 2000 photographs, 500 negatives including glass negatives and 250 drawings; perspective drawings, plans and presentations drawings." Over the next few months, the library will put digital copies of the collection on the internet (www.nla.gov.au).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/property/wal ... 43178.html

Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

Neutra.

PNB

Post by PNB »

We'll there are very few things in life where there is a #1 and even fewer where there are a #2 so I generally don't put much faith in these things. However, as an afficionado of the prairie style and residential architecture I will put in my two cents for my personal #2 favorite - Walter Burley Griffin.

MD

Post by MD »

Frank Lloyd Wright of course!

#2, right after one of his student: John Lautner :wink:

mike

Griffin photos And some of Wright projects

Post by mike »

WOOOOOOOW!!!!! I nearly passed out when I started going thru those Griffin photos.

I noticed part of the collection is of Wright designed projects including Midway Gardens. Perhaps there are some never before seen Wright photos in that collection??? These aren't digitized yet???

Great stuff and looks like some of the drawings are for studies or unbuilt projects.

Griffin gets no respect. If people would take the time to look into Griffins work in Austrailia and India they would see him (and Marion) in a different light!!!!
St Louis

Deke

Post by Deke »

Where are the Griffin photos at again?

And here's another vote for Richard Mieier. I know, white...sterile...but look at the space, not the walls that hold it, and you'll see a lot of the same gem-like qualities FLW buildings have.

Deke

mike

http://www.nla.gov.au/

Post by mike »

see above post!!!!!

Go to:

http://www.nla.gov.au/

type in "griffin" in the upper right search space
St Louis