2ND BEST AMERICAN ARCHITECT

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
RJH

Post by RJH »

For number 2.......I would have to say......"mini Wright."

EJ

Post by EJ »

I know a lot of people here don't like him, but Frank Gehry is a personal favorite. A bit cliche, I know. But, like all cliches, there is a strong resonance of truth behind it. Gehry is someone who thinks outside the box, is a true original and, having been in several Gehry spaces, I can say that they are breathtaking. Not exactly form following function, but great nonetheless.

I like the work of Ken Dahlin as well, a versatile architect who can do it many different ways. His "new prairie house" was breathtaking when I was in it.

I am also an advocate of the Not So Big House school of thought, and I hope the rest of the US eventually dumps the McMansion mentality. Yeah, right.
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

SDmason

Post by SDmason »

frank gehry has some crazy stuff, but i like ludwig mies and especially Le Corbusier.

jrdet10

No.2?

Post by jrdet10 »

Albert Kahn, more for his industrial work, but I'd hire him to design me a house, too
"Well, there you are!"

MRW

Second best architect

Post by MRW »

E. Fay Jones' Thorncrown chapel packs as much spiritual power into a few hundred square feet as the best medeval cathedrals. I feel that his best work could challange FLW's in terms of beauty, discipline and organic wholeness, though not in breadth of concept or creativity.
Mike Wantz

SDmason

Post by SDmason »

wow, i do like Fay Jones' work, i love his chandaliers. he was definetely Wright inspired, but took that and built on it to form his own style, with wrightian elements.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Tie: Louis Kahn and HH Richardson.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Americans of the past: Bertram Grovesner Goodhue, Eliel Saarinen and Benjamin Thompson; Current: Will Bruder, Lorcan O'Herlihy and Steven Badanes; Outside USA of the past: Alvar Aalto, Frei Otto and Pierre Chareau; Current: Sverre Fehn, J

karnut

Post by karnut »

Bart Prince And Rudoplh Michael Schindler no one else comes close!!!!!!

DRN

Post by DRN »

American 1st runner up to FLLW: Bruce Goff for his creativity, range, and the free-thinking he inspired in his students and architects like me who knew him only through his buildings and writings.

Closely following Goff are E. Fay Jones, Barry Byrne, and Frank Furness.

Foreign Architects (living): Santiago Calatrava

Foreign Architects (not living): CR Mackintosh, CFA Voysey, Borromini

Eric Hughes

Post by Eric Hughes »

E. Fay Jones is by far my next favorite. Followed by Alden B. Dow, Marion Mahony. Also see E. Fay Jones old partner web-site below http://www.mauricejennings.com/
Eric Hughes
Image Design, LLC
East Grand Rapids, Michigan

flwright

Post by flwright »

I have always had a fondness for Canadian architect Arthur Erickson, although it is a shame he went bankrupt in the 1980's architecture bust. His output has never been the same but is now making a come back in his mid-eighties. E. Fay Jones and Aaron Green also top my list.
Morgan

RJH

Post by RJH »

I am surprised no one said

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the following two architects, who after FLW, are a couple of my very favorites (along with Fay Jones):

John Lautner

Richard Neutra

I would also like to throw another name into the discussion, as I think the conversation would be incomplete without his inclusion:

Richard Meier

That's my two cents. Thanks.

KevinW

2nd fave

Post by KevinW »

Aaron Green was my LieberMeister, perhaps he never created a Fallingwater, but some of his buildings, especially some of his early homes were near perfection. He had deep understanding of organic principles that resulted in buildings that you can feel deep in your soul. Right now, thats the best I can describe Aarons work.

Another Architect who I greatly admire is Art Dyson. His work is not derivative, it is truely his own. I believe his work continues to evolve and mature. He is very user oriented, and involved in his community.

Tadeo Andos' museums are impressive.

Louis Kahns' work reflects his passion.

more later
KevinW