Way to roport spam

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
krietzerjak

Way to roport spam

Post by krietzerjak »

We need a spam button. I am Tired of seeing obvious spam here, and no real way of reporting it. Spammers can post links when new members can not. I do NOT understand this. Please add a spam button for those reading these messages and see OBVIUS SPAM.

egads

Re: Way to roport spam

Post by egads »

krietzerjak wrote:We need a spam button. I am Tired of seeing obvious spam here, and no real way of reporting it. Spammers can post links when new members can not. I do NOT understand this. Please add a spam button for those reading these messages and see OBVIUS SPAM.
See the "notify site administrator" in the box on the upper right. That's how we report spam. If you can figure out how to or who will donate a BB program that is not 8 years old, be my guest. *

And it is an unwritten rule around here that one never responds to a post that smells of spam. Never give them the satisfaction.

Actually, the site software used here is free & open source. There probably is a newer version available, we just need tech savvy youth to do it.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Spam posts are being dealt with very promptly by the administrator. Please don't respond to spammers; we don't want to give them any encouragement at all.

Yes, it's annoying to have our space invaded by soulless leeches. It's an unfortunate side effect of an open market and an efficient Web -- and the never-ending presence of venality in the human race, I suppose . . .?

SDR

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I also wanted to add that the administrators are proactively banning any profiles that have commercial links not related to architecture, even if they have not posted anything.

If you have any suggestions on ways to further combat spam, update the forum or improve the user experience, please use the notify site administrator link in the blue box in the upper right hand corner to contact.

Thanks for contributing to WrightChat and continuing to make it a vibrant space to discuss all things Wright.

egads

Post by egads »

How is it possible for a new poster to add a link in their posts? Just today, in the Bob Burka exhibit thread, there is a new post by a newly registered member with one post with a link in it. Others, who have legitimately joined with a genuine interest in our discussions, cannot link or attach. This is really normal in boards like this. Do the spammers have some secret decoder ring to get around this restriction?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

egads wrote:How is it possible for a new poster to add a link in their posts? Just today, in the Bob Burka exhibit thread, there is a new post by a newly registered member with one post with a link in it. Others, who have legitimately joined with a genuine interest in our discussions, cannot link or attach. This is really normal in boards like this. Do the spammers have some secret decoder ring to get around this restriction?
I could be wrong, but I believe in the instance you are referring to, the spammer didn't put a direct link inside of the post. Rather, the link was included as part of their 'profile' - in which case it shows up at the bottom and would be a part of every post the spammer/poster ever makes.

David

egads

Post by egads »

So I guess the rule should be that one cannot add a link in one's profile until they have a certain amount of posts either?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I wish I could see the point in worrying about spam. For one thing, there's nothing to be done about the generation of spam, and for another our administration does a reliable job of making it disappear. Isn't that so ?

Perhaps we'd have more spam if readers gave in to the temptation to respond to it; everyone seems to be doing a good job on that score.

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Well, there was a spam post this morning by a 'first-time' spammer - and it did include a link in the post. Not sure how they got around the 'never-a--link-in-your-first-post' rule - but they somehow did.

David

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I think the FLWBC has been doing a good job monitoring this site for SPAM and when notified on something that they have missed they have removed it promptly.

Let's worry about something else.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond