Fir Tree House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

Fir Tree House

Post by Tim »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Excellent photos by Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer . . . or so credited.

The house seems to be in grand shape, and good hands.

SDR

JPB_1971

Post by JPB_1971 »

In good hands indeed and definitely with some features not seen in any other Wright house, or at least any other to my knowledge. The built-in seating in the gallery (instead of the typical storage cabinets) and the exposed truss system in the great room are indeed unique. I'd love to see a detail sheet of the truss design - from the photos I can't tell if trusses are "let in" to the other supporting members at the points they intersect. I don't really see any metal collars or fasteners at these intersecting areas (although perhaps I didn't look closely enough!). In any event a treat to see this enigmatic work, or at least until now...

SDR

Post by SDR »

There are several (labor-intensive) methods for making two structural members to intersect; a couple are illustrated below. But I believe you will find that, at the Fir Tree house, only one of each pair of crossing members is performing a structural job; the secondary member is simply cut and butted to the primary one.

Notching each member equally would reduce both to one half of their nominal section -- and not much more than half of the consequent strength. "A chain is as strong as its weakest link."

Of these examples, most are suited to decorative use, or load-bearing structure at the scale of furniture. Only the first image depicts a method that might be found in light building construction -- in my estimation. An even more elaborate, stronger intersection could be achieved by laminating many thin members into a beam, with the intersection configured as a two-way (continuous) finger joint . . .

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the post. I would have missed this otherwise. First time I've seen inside this place.

pharding

Post by pharding »

This is the first that I ever saw that house and I have every major book on FLW. That house is ultra-cool and timeless. That family is a great steward for that wonderful architectural work. I enjoy the economy of materials and elegant details. What a great house by a great architect.
Last edited by pharding on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

peterm

Post by peterm »

Just amazing, and perfectly presented, decorated and photographed! What a delight...

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

I have never seen images of this house previously. and find it interesting to compare the roof structure with that of the Richard Davis house at Marion, Indiana.

The Davis house is another attempt by Frank Lloyd Wright to resuscitate the Lake Tahoe project. The Type A roof trusses in the living/dining area are rotated so that one of the top chords is vertical, and fixed to the chimney mass, whilst the bottom chord forms the roof pitch. The other top chord is carried by the window mullions, and forms the sloping ceiling and soffit.

It is worthy of study.

Tom

Post by Tom »

The use of wood shakes stand out for me here. I can't think of another house right off hand that does so except for those early Chicago houses.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The clerestory separating "crown" from "brim" is a vital element, never before revealed in full because we had no interior or (night-lighted) exterior photo.

The back-rest upholstery to the bench seat is a unique solution, whether by Wright or others: comfort is provided for individual sitters (reducing the waiting-room atmosphere) while the boards of the construction are revealed as they wouldn't otherwise be. The yellow fabric is a nice shade, too, I'd say.

SDR

egads

Post by egads »

Next to the fire is perhaps one of the most comfortable looking chairs Wright ever designed. At first I was drawn to the rear legs jutting out like a pair of skis. Then I though it might be a chase. In another photo it is reveled to be a chair and ottoman. I wonder if the back is adjustable?

Craig

Post by Craig »

Wonderful! This has to be the least-known of all standing Wright's houses. I tried to find it when I lived in New Mexico but even the exact address is impossible to find. It's somewhere in Pecos, east of Santa Fe. I wonder why the owner(s) finally allowed these photographs to be published? I'd love to see more photographs.
ch

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Arnold Freidman House (1945) Pecos, NM

Unbelievable, Wright has been dead for 54 years and we are still discovering (mostly unknown & unpublished) houses! Amazing!
Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well -- not completely unpublished. Storrer found it, after all, and shows one black-and-white photo . . .

SDR

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

There are intersecting structural members supporting the roof of the Wyoming Valley School, which allow for a clerestory set back from the walls. We stopped by some 18 years ago, and a man was there with a stepladder doing some repair on them.

Curious how the were joined I climbed up for a look. The cross member was butted and fastened to the through member with perhaps a 1 1/2" x 1/4" steel plate about 6' long, one on top and (I think I remember) one on the bottom, lag bolts about a foot apart fastening the steel to the wood. The (fir?) structural members were then wrapped on the three visible sides with 1/8" Luan plywood.

Another trick from the magician.

doug k