camino de santa paula 6, málaga - a wrightian house in spain

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
guanche

camino de santa paula 6, málaga - a wrightian house in spain

Post by guanche »

hello everyone,

well... I'm really happy to tell you that a few days before I knew that we have here, in southern Spain, a good example of a Wrightian style house
it was built by a Wright apprentice. His name was Robert Mosher.

I would like to say that the house is protected by Málaga city goverment.

I put here a few drawings and pictures caught in the web. Sorry, I have not more data to share

well, I hope you enjoy it

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I'd love to see some interiors. Does anyone know how Mosher came to settle in Spain?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Mosher, who is the curly-haired apprentice in the famous photo of FLW at the board surrounded by acolytes, spent much of his life in Spain. I don't know what exactly drew him to go there. He may have said as much when I met him in the late 80s at Hollyhock, but I don't remember. I do recall he talked about his involvement with Fallingwater and the problem of reinforcement inadequacies; he sided with Kaufmann's engineers.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Not that it really matters, but I don't believe it is Mosher with the curly hair, isn't Mosher the blond with the slight comb over on the end in the first row?
KevinW

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

No, he's the slightly corpulent young man with the curls.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... wAg&dur=25
Mosher, first row end, next to Wes. Perhaps prior to a permed era?
KevinW

dtc

Post by dtc »

Kevin you are correct. Mosher is the blonde at the end next to Peters.
The curly hair fellow is Tafel, (arm leaning on Mosher).

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

At the Conservancy's 1988 meeting at Fallingwater he was on a panel and said, how accurately I cannot judge, that the plan to gold leaf the building fell through because Mrs. K didn't want "Japs" working on her house.

Randolph C. Henning

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

Robert Keeler Mosher, an apprentice from 1932-1942 (one of the original charter members of the Fellowship), traveled to Spain in the mid-50's to spend a year designing US bases for the State Department and never left. He was fond of referring to FLlW as "The Maestro." Frank Lloyd Wright nicknamed Mosher "Little Sunshine."

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Mosher is the blond I meant. I seem to have edited the curls from Tafel to Bob.

sydarch

Post by sydarch »

The reason for Robert Byron Mosher moving to Malaga was because he was under a very good contract with a developer. Later the contract failed and he stayed in Marbella for 10 years until his passing in 1992. You can read a bout it in Edgar Taffel's "Frank Lloyd Wright: Recollections by Those Who Knew Him" (there is a sinopsis in internet). Also tere is a good explanation in spanish in the blog of marbella history. I have been searching for Mosher's work in Marbella many summers with very little results.
Sydney.

loo tee

Post by loo tee »

In the group portrait of fifteen men gathered around Wright, Mosher is at the right, hunched below Tafel (who has the curly hair). In a variant photograph, with only three men at the drafting table with Wright, Mosher is standing right behind the master--with blond hair and puffy lips. He looked much the same in old age, though bald. The house as illustrated seems a heavy-handed transposition of Fallingwater. One large house he did in Marbella was for the Cabot Lodge family.
His name was really Byron Keeler Mosher, but he hated "Byron" and early on adopted "Robert" as his given name.

sydarch

Post by sydarch »

Mosher and Edgar Taffel were best friends at Taliesin. Mosher relevance is that with Taffel prepared the presentation drawings for Fallingwater from a few lines traced by Wright in a very short period of time after a surprise visit by Edgar Kaufman, a story that we all know well. Mosher authored the famous perspective drawing of Fallingwater. This drawing is probably one of the most important of the Taliesin archives. Mosher also directed the construction of Falligwater for a couple of months substituting Taffel. He is totally unknown in the architectural community of Spain where he spent the last years of his career.

guirri

Post by guirri »

Hi there,

I imagine that you know this but there are a few more "wrightean" houses on the Costa del Sol that Robert Mosher designed.
I live in Rancho Domingo in Benalmadena where Robert Mosher designed around 27 villas in the sisxties and seventies.
I have a few of the old floor plans of the villas should anyone be interested.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

guirri wrote:Hi there,

I imagine that you know this but there are a few more "wrightean" houses on the Costa del Sol that Robert Mosher designed.
I live in Rancho Domingo in Benalmadena where Robert Mosher designed around 27 villas in the sisxties and seventies.
I have a few of the old floor plans of the villas should anyone be interested.
Guirri,
How about some photos to go along with the plans?
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond