Moving Bachman House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Matt

Moving Bachman House

Post by Matt »

Not sure why this is getting so much coverage.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/open-ho ... 80221.html

Wouldn't it be easier to just raise the house a few feet if it is in this flood plain?

DRN

Post by DRN »

The floods on the site are substantial, moving a few feet would only lessen the depth of the flood water in the house. To move the house any amount would require demo and reconstruction of the existing 1st floor slab and radiant heating, as well as the concrete masonry, which is discontinuous and not a simple box. To move the house a few feet requires almost the same effort as moving it a mile.

Not sure if a 1950's CMU block Usonian is appropriate to Fiesole. I suspect Wright would have adopted a different palette of materials and grammar for that environment....a NJ creekside is not a hill town in Tuscany.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

This proposed move would be equivalent to the process necessary to move the Gordon and Pope Houses in that they are both concrete block houses on a slab. It would be essentially a reconstruction not unlike the way they do historic restorations in Japan. From what I have read about the restoration of the Jiyu Gaaken School and the Imperial Hotel lobby they basically took the whole thing apart and rebuilt it from the ground up.

So we see that this idea is possible, but probably not real cheap.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Paul, is that true about Jiyu Gakuen? As I understand it, the building stands where it always has and, being in more or less original condition, but just a bit worse for wear, was spruced up.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Bachman move would be like the attempt by Monaghan to reconstruct the Exhibition House with the remnants found stored at Henken's house in Pleasantville, which amounted to a few bricks and a perf. Of course, nothing came of that venture.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I believe much of the floor and block walls of the Gordon house were rebuilt...so they are not original. I would think it possible to raise the house to a safe height. I've seen larger homes moved by digging out the foundation and bracing it with steel and putting the whole thing on to a trailer. Here you would just have to jack the foundation up. Seems much less destructive that taking it apart for shipping.

I also question the $1.5 million price tag. Is this a bid by the owners to clear the property for some larger development?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Matt, as is shown in a video made of the moving of Gordon, the house was divided into two major parts and hauled intact to its new location and new floor. The block walls were not rebuilt.

Matt

Post by Matt »

My bad...I was told they were when I toured the house a couple years ago.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Roderick Grant wrote:Paul, is that true about Jiyu Gakuen? As I understand it, the building stands where it always has and, being in more or less original condition, but just a bit worse for wear, was spruced up.
RG,
I will check with the producers of the movie Magnificent Obsession (http://www.magnificent-obsession.org) in Japan to confirm my story.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

RG,
Here is part of the response I got.

Paul,
Yes, they absolutely took it apart,
piece by piece, then rebuilt after replacing a majority of those pieces.

Cheers,
Karen Severns, Japan

----
She also told me the restoration was covered in one of the Quarterlies. I have not found which issue yet.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Considering how the Japanese do things, it doesn't surprise me that they took the building apart, but did they move it to a different location? The original reason the building was endangered in 2000 was because the value of the land had soared to $20M or so, but I believe it was not moved to another location.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Would be cheaper to build a dike and regrade the house?
Maybe we could have it rebuilt like the now demolished home in Mississippi.
I guess one could move it back but what is the cost?
JAT
Jeff T

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

RG,
Found it: Summer 2002, Vol. 13 no. 3 – Conserving Wright’s Architecture Part II (Jiyu Gakuen)

outside in

Post by outside in »

I believe the Farnsworth House has the same problem. It was auctioned off a few years ago and was purchased by Landmark Illinois and the National Trust. A design competition was held to solve the flooding problem and nothing surfaced as a reasonable solution - and this is a house on stilts! I'm afraid mother nature is impossible to keep at bay without expending far more than the cost of moving the home.

It seems that there are two different approachs, however - The Gordon technique (subdivided into two portions) and the complete dismantling, which I believe is the technique required to ship it to Italy. One would think that the first approach retains much more of the actual construction of the house, i.e., mortar joints, framing, fasteners, etc. than the second.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Italy, a peninsula? I think the area it will be located is not near water.
Can we keep it in the U.S? Like let's move it just a few inches on the
original site. It would be sacrilegious and utterly wrong to move it somewhere else beyond the U.S. There has to be a solution out there
and cheaper too.
JAT
Jeff T