Preparing an unbuilt chair design for construction

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I have sent SDR photos of the model, which he can post. I will likely do measurements of the model as well.

Jeff
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. (I think in this case, you might take measurements from me, rather than the other way around ?) 8)

I'm sending very minor corrections before we post.

It's fun to see the thing come alive so quickly !

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Here is my model of the ASBH Chair.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ahem -- as I said, there are some minor corrections to be made. I'm sending them to you now.

S

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Oh I know. I thought to share the progress of the design for now.
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Here is the final product,with some work in progress.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

PrairieMod

Post by PrairieMod »

Wonderful work by all! I'm wondering if this chair could be considered another of Wright's "Barrel chair" designs? It also seems to exude some very Viennese Secessionist/Wiener Werkstatt qualities. Can't wait to see it built!

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Here are a few renders, yes I threw in a table I designed and the Taliesin III Chair so it would not feel so empty.
JAT
Jeff T

peterm

Post by peterm »

Sweet... Jeff- You should change the grain direction on the arms so that it runs front to back, not side to side...

SDR

Post by SDR »

I agree. But I have trouble with that orientation, too, as the rear center of the solid-stock top becomes vulnerable to fracture, glued as it is to the plywood seat shell. In very dry climates -- an overheated room, for instance -- the solid will want to shrink, while the plywood would not.

Jeff also showed the mitered version of the top. That might be the most successful from a technical point of view . . .

Nice renders ! And I like Jeff's table and the other chairs as well. I wonder what that spot of light is doing under the C3 chair in the second and third views ?

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Actually that's the renderings fault. In the model it is oriented front to back,as seen in the photo that shows the top of the chair.

Jeff
JAT
Jeff T

sjnorris

Post by sjnorris »

Wow! Great work Jeff , can I use your renderings along with SDR's ?

Stafford

krietzerjak

Post by krietzerjak »

SDR, have you seen the book on George Niedecken by Cheryl Robertson? It has a lot of Wright and Niedecken drawings compared. I know it has both Henry Allen and Bogk furniture shown, Wright's original concepts and Niedecken's revisals as he built them along with additional pieces. He worked on other projects in this same time period, like Meyer May when he added a mural and more furniture. It has been a while since I read this book, and can't find it right now, but this may be some help.

("The Domestic Scene, 1897-1927: George M. Niedecken, Interior Architect", by Cheryl Robertson)

Andy

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

You can use the renders sjnorris.
JAT
Jeff T