Monographs Set Books 1-8 Found at Estate Sale!

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mahankind

Monographs Set Books 1-8 Found at Estate Sale!

Post by Mahankind »

Today I stumbled upon Monograph set of books 1-8 at a local estate sale, and they are beautiful!

I'm fairly certain they didn't know what they had because i got all 8 books for under 50 dollars. SCORE!

I do have a question: Were books 1-8 published at a different time than books 9-12? Does anyone know the story behind these?

Thanks so much to all the fellow Wright fans out there.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Stories like this are what keep me going to garage sales. Great find!

krietzerjak

Post by krietzerjak »

Great find! I paid more than that on postage on mine.

It took them over a year to release the whole set. As I recall, Vol 1, 9, and 12 came out first, the others slowly followed. The price almost doubled by the time the last ones were published.

Andy

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

How would you like to double your money?... :wink:
KevinW

peterm

Post by peterm »

Congratulations! What a find!

I had the opposite experience today. I just received a set of gold plated flatware with rosewood handles which I bought on eBay to use at the Lamberson house. The whole set cost only $37.00 so I though I had scored. Well... when I opened the box, I found what was a set of desert utensils. The seller failed to mention the diminutive size of the the pieces. The forks are like 4 1/2" long!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

Mahankind

Value

Post by Mahankind »

Thanks for the info everyone!

It looks to me like 9-12 are different, so i thought they were possibly released separately.

Also, I've seen single volumes online with people asking 500-600 USD each. I'm thinking this is a bit high for each book, and somewhere in the range of 150-250 each would be a bit more accurate.

What do you all think the value of volumes 1-8 are?

Thanks so much, it's awesome getting to chat with fellow Wright fans!

SpringGreen

Are the Monographs hardcover or softcover?

Post by SpringGreen »

Well, Abebooks has one volume of one of the hardcovers for sale at $350, and another one for sale at $250. I would imagine that the entire set of vol. 1-8 would be worth more ($3,000?).

Maybe you should keep looking at Ebay or Abebooks to get an idea of their value; or find a book antiquarian to get a value if you want to get them insured.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

On eBay, the total value fluctuates from $1,600 to $6,000 -- though, it might depend solely on the seller, because they often tend to inflate prices.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Of course, given the size of the books, why they haven't come up with a digital version is beyond me. I would pay for that.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I think $250 is basically the going price for these. I did see a complete set in MN for $6000 tho.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Cost differences also relate to softbound vs. hardbound. From what I've seen, (in top condition) the softbounds go for about $90 - $120 and the hardbounds from about $180 - $250 on eBay.

Though, there is someone in Japan who puts up a series of them (and other expensive books) up on eBay about every other week or so for truly exorbitant prices (e.g. - $650.00). I guess they don't mind paying the eBay listing fees as long as they can find the occasional sucker to bite.

David

krietzerjak

Post by krietzerjak »

They were devided into three different parts, Monographs (1-8), Preliminary Studies (9-11), In His Renderings (12). All three were started at the same time.
Volume 12 was always the highest price.

Andy
Last edited by krietzerjak on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The books were released just as Japan's economy was taking off, causing the prices to rise as each volume came out. By the time I had all mine, I had spent $1600+. Excellent investment.

Mahankind

Thanks!

Post by Mahankind »

Thank you for the responses everyone, all the information has been fantastic. Mine are all soft covers, and I' m thinking I will hold on to them for a few years.

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

I got the soft covers as they came out, practically wore out the Usonian volumes, then added a hard cover set.

Wright's own writing can be hard to read, and the writings of others vary widely in quality and accuracy. These floor and site plans, elevations, and details are perhaps the purest record of his architecture, outside of the buildings themselves.

doug k