The Allan and Arline Paul House, by Aaron Green...For Sale.

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I am still interested in seeing the first scheme for Richard Lloyd Jones.
Goff's first all geometric design was I think 1925
JAT
Jeff T

loo tee

Post by loo tee »

Many thanks to Kevin for posting this lovely house by Aaron Green. To my eye, it's more appealing and sensible than Wright's nearby "Honeycomb" house. Sometimes the pupil surpasses the master.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Lloyd Jones 1; Taschen.... SDR posted this in the "30/60" thread

Image[/img]

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Wow JimM thanks. It is great to see it in color, which I did not know.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Any hope of reading the room functions on the plan ? There's a "great hall" (perhaps) with centered fireplace, on the left, and a smaller pair of spaces -- one with a fireplace, and steps up or down in front of it. Is that a billiard table in grey ?

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

It should read similar to the built. We should add a plan of built second plan to compare.
If this were the built plan I wonder what others would say besides "the pickle factory". The art deco house maybe? It would be harder to classify in the history of the city, we call the built Streamlined. I know Wright would hate that,I obviously classify it as to unique to be any form of Art Deco.
JAT
Jeff T

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

I would love to see the plans of the Paul house -- which didn't seem to get posted in the previous thread.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Surprisingly, this is still (nominally) the Paul house thread. And speaking of names, perhaps Kevin could amend his title post to correct the spelling of the client's wife's name ?

Yes, I too would like to see the Paul plan. Am I correct in believing this to be a 30-60 grid house ? That places it within the discussion, elsewhere, of the entry of that grid into Wright's work . . . ?

SDR

BBuck

Post by BBuck »

Yes, would love to see a plan. What a beautiful compact design. The Paul house looks to be on a 4' X 4' parallelogram?

I was comparing the early images from Aaron Green's website to those in the listing site. It looks to be in very good and unaltered condition.

View from Google Maps:
http://tinyurl.com/ahgm8cm

-BBuck

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Macrodex wrote:I would love to see the plans of the Paul house -- which didn't seem to get posted in the previous thread.
Earlier in this thread, Education Professor mentioned that there are photos and a floor plan in the November 1956 House Beautiful magazine. Anyone have a copy that could be scanned and posted???

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

DavidC, there are two photographs of the Paul House in the 1959 HB (pp 328-9) but no floor plan, although there is a plan of Bartholomew, which EP may have been referring to? In the 1956 HB, there are no images nor plans of Paul, but there is a fetching photograph of a beautiful woman on page 231 wearing a wide-brimmed hat trimmed with Parliament cigarettes.

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

I've checked my files, and the Paul house is indeed featured in detail in the Nov. 1956 edition of HB.....pp. 238-242 and following pages. Several photos and a floor plan are included.

EP

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

RG & EP - thanks for the further info.

EP - is there anyway for you to scan the pertinent info from the Nov. HB and pass it along to SDR to post?

David

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

Hi David, I'll give it a go. Our scanner is rather low-tech and sometimes the results aren't very good.

EP

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Sorry, EP, I was looking at The FLW issue of HB, November of 1955.