Plans for Taliesin floor lamp?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jmixon

Plans for Taliesin floor lamp?

Post by jmixon »

http://www.room100.nl/designer/miscellaneous/taliesin

Can't find anyone who actually sells these plans, are they online at this point? I'd buy them if I could, but I can't find them! I am trying to build some with my father for my parents house and we need dimensions.

lang

Post by lang »

try this site: www.prairiedesigns.com . Good luck.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

You could try and see if you can find a copy of "Woodworking Plans for a Hillside Table Lamp" somewhere online (though, that may not be an easy task).

David

jmixon

Post by jmixon »

DavidC wrote:You could try and see if you can find a copy of "Woodworking Plans for a Hillside Table Lamp" somewhere online (though, that may not be an easy task).

David
Yeah I been looking. Can't find it.

I'll check the above site though.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I own a floor lamp that Bob Beharka made for his own home, I could give you some dimensions if you would like. There are several pictures of it here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75562383@N ... 528521766/

While the light box's, etc..dimensions would be faithful, Bob took some creative liberties to the top.
KevinW

Jjen

Table lamp

Post by Jjen »

Hello, I have the book"Woodworking Plans for a Hillside Table Lamp" if you would like to borrow it. Email me if you are interested.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Based on the dimensions of the Taliesin-approved Yamagiwa copies, the basic dimensions of the 5-light table lamp in millimetres are (roughly):

Overall height: 750
Post: 30x30x730, 30x30 cube at top articulated by 10 groove 5 deep
Base: 210x210x20 thick, including (felt?) pad (The lamp is not centered on the base, but the dimensions for its placement are not included. Best guess: post is 40 from two sides of base.)
Light boxes: 70wx60hx145, + 45x30 notches, inside of notch aligned with edge of post; back of box, 15 beyond post. Wood 10(?) thick; 5(?) thick wood wrapped around post at notched opening.
Boxes: 120 apart on center.
Reflectors: 160x110x5, 10 beyond post, 120 center to center; bottom reflector, 60 from center line to top of base.
Structure at base: 80x57.5x10(?) board supports bottom reflector; perpendicular to this, pieces of indeterminate length extending from center post. At the back an oddly shaped board 30 wide extends the larger board 'through' the post, extending upward to the center line of the second reflector, with a 10x18(?) notch centered between the bottom reflector and base, and a 10x60 notch coincident to the first light box.

The reflectors are edged with 5 wood, with the bulk of the piece made of a slightly thinner material lighter in color.

I suspect the originals were measured in English units. In the process of translating them into Metric, the dimensions may have been fudged somewhat. But it doesn't matter that much. What matters most is the relative measurements. To translate into English, all you would need is a single multiplier for each dimension.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

The example above has the horizontal reflector on top of the light box, shouldn't they be below the light box? Unless it's the pendant version, which is quite different...those have the reflector shade on top.
KevinW

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Seems the location of the reflector could be in either position depending on the use of the light. I doubt the lamps much good for task lighting; can they be used for reading? More about setting a mood.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Task lighting, not so much...but to gently and beautifully illuminate a small area, indeed. Yes, the reflector can go in either location, I was just mentioning in terms of faithfullness to original design, perhaps.
KevinW

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

But was the 'original design' meant to be just one fixed idea? Weren't there always differences? The number of lights? Floor, table or ceiling, or even pole lamp, as the photo above indicates? I think the design was merely a template for a wide variety of designs. No purity of intent here.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I don't know what intentions Wright had. Sure, everything can be changed....that whole spice of life thang.
KevinW