Storm "Sandy"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
John

Storm "Sandy"

Post by John »

I'm concerned for the large number of FLLW buildings in the path of Sandy. I hope someone in the area will be able to keep us apprised of damage, if any to these structures.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I'm not sure of the others, but Sweeton is experiencing very heavy rain and sustained winds of 30 to 40 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Wind and rain will increase in ferocity over the next few hours. We have electricity for now, and hope that continues.
My thoughts are with the people at the shore or otherwise near water. Of FLLW's work, the Cooke house in VA near the ocean, and the Spencer house in DE near the Shellpot Creek come to mind.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

The Cooke House is 0.3miles inland from the ocean and 230 miles from where the hurricane is expected to landfall, but well within the area of flooding danger.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

lang

Post by lang »

My hopes and prayers for the good health and safety of any chatters in sandys path!
Langdon

peterm

Post by peterm »

DRN-

Are you guys ok? Do you have electricity? New Jersey has been pummeled; I sure hope that you and your lovely house were spared...

DRN

Post by DRN »

We are fine...I suspect the removal of some weakened trees close to the house this summer greatly contributed to our coming out of the storm unscathed. We were lucky. The yard and drive are a mess, and I must go on the roof to clear the flat roof drains of debris, but we have power, so all in all, we are good. My heart goes out to those closer to the shore who really got the brunt of the storm.

I telephoned Dan, the owner of the Cooke house in VA...he and his wife are fine, the house is fine, but he noted he has some yard work to do too. Dan credited Wright to some extent for his success...he believes the siting of the house and berming of the grade helps the house to ride out most storms.

Dan seems to be a popular name for current Wright owners.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Very glad to hear you are doing well and that power is on for you - so many are without at the moment.

And thanks for calling Dan and checking in on him, his wife and Cooke. The house is elevated facing the backbay/inlet, but if a huge surge ever came from the ocean side I think all the homes in that area have the chance of being overwhelmed.

David

peterm

Post by peterm »

Aerial view of the Cooke House:

http://flwrightbeachhouse.com/location/

John

Cooke house

Post by John »

Thanks.
Silly me. I always "presumed" that the house was on the ocean.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I just received an e-mail from Christian, one of the Suntop unit owners. He reported that Suntop came through the storm with no damage.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Pope-Leighey, Euchtmann, Beth Sholom, Crimson Beech and Max Hoffman would all seem to be in vulnerable areas.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Crimson Beech is way up high on a hill - no flood danger for that home.

David

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Max Hoffman is in Rye,NY.
JAT
Jeff T

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Any news on the always vulnerable to flooding Bachman-Wilson House?

It seems to be located very near Atlantic City and Long Island Sound, both of which were devastated.

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/KRggt
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Millstone is quite far from Atlantic City and Long Island Sound, though not so far from Staten Island, which got whipped. Stamford (Sander) is on LIS.