The David Wright house has been put up for sale!!

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SpringGreen

The David Wright house has been put up for sale!!

Post by SpringGreen »

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news ... [quote]The 2,500-square-foot home in the Arcadia neighborhood sits on more than two acres and is listed for $2.38 million. The concrete home was built in 1952.

Robert Joffe is owner of the Joffe Group real estate firm and an agent with Russ Lyon Sotheby's International Realty. He's a veteran luxury broker, and is listing the David Wright house for its owner, a development company called 8081 Meridian LLC....

Joffe said there could also be a preservation component for the next buyer of the David Wright house.[/quote]*Could be a preservation component*.... Ya think?
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Many thanks to the Building Conservancy, among many others I am sure.
Mark Hertzberg

ozwrightfan

Post by ozwrightfan »

Another win for people power, this is fantastic news. Let us hope that the next buyer will purchase and restore the building to its former glory.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Here's hoping a buyer will step up...$952/SF is a lot of money for a house ultimately in need of $100/SF to $200/SF worth of restoration work. At least the house is very livable as is, though I doubt a buyer in this price range would go the live-in-while-restoring route.

Matt

Post by Matt »

There's no cause for celebration until a restoration minded buyer steps forward. The current owners have been trying to sell it for months and have not received an offer they like. At least now we know the price they're looking for.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

They turned down an offer for $2.1 million.

This article does not mean that anything has changed. It also does not say how much land will be included with the sale.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DRN

Post by DRN »

I've been dismayed that the current owners of the house have set the asking price so high and have been unwilling to accept offers relatively close to the amount asked. It makes one think they are doing so in order to prove the house cannot find a buyer, thereby justifying their intent to raze it. Greed probably plays a significant role as well.

NadineLynn

Wright Offers

Post by NadineLynn »

I'm in Az, have been following closely, went to some of the meetings, spoke at one, and when the Phx Planning Commission asked one of the owners outright if he had offers, he said four (4), with a great hesitation before speaking as if he was weighing it. I heard him say four, but I already knew the answer because a sincere Realtor, not the current listing Realtor Joffe, but Jarson, who was working pro bono without a listing, brought in a person who offered 2.1 at a time when the asking price (not listed, of course) was 2.2, so only $100K less. The refusal came back in less than an hour.

I wouldn't break out the champagne just yet because the owners have been duplicitous throughout and seem to have hidden agendas. I'm almost certain Joffe also sold them the house in the first place, so there might be something going on that he's willing to find a buyer pro bono (a $200K commission loss for him), perhaps because he hadn't warned the owners of the trouble they are now facing and should have known. I don't know, that's a guess because I won a lawsuit once against my agent for the very same thing, but tiny potatoes, moneywise. But come to think of it, it was about the same ratio I was refunded, a little more than my agent's commission, that Joffe would be losing, relatively speaking.

I just don't know many business people that will give up $$ without a good reason, a better reason that the place has now grown on him, as he says. He has been on TV news and interviewed for the local papers and made sure to emphasize that he didn't know much about the David Wright House that's 10 houses from his; he jogs past, lived there about 20 years, and is supposedly (on his website) the #1 Realty for the Arcadia area where the house is located. You come to your own conclusions. Oh, on the initial listing months ago, when these buyers bought, there's a whole paragraph on FLW and his son, etc., so not just a quick nod--does he not read his own MLS Listings?

NadineLynn

Entire property

Post by NadineLynn »

I believe the price the are asking includes the entire property and everything is sold "as is"--Actually, the Realtor, I have now discovered has made in excess of $400,000,000 in sales, personally!! He can afford to do the FLW sale pro bono, and I doubt he's worried about a lawsuit money-wise, maybe only reputation-wise because the article I read touts him as having great product knowledge--well, not in the David Wright House case. Seems like if anyone could sell it, he would have the connections. Odd, since he sold it to them, I think, and now he'll sell it for them, so in some metaphysical karmic slant: he began this and he may finish it.
Although the community is involved, I don't have much faith in the power of the people, of which I am one. Seems much more likely politics and power (wealth) will be able to turn the tide.
http://kbwoodspublicrelations.com/2012/ ... n-phoenix/

NadineLynn

Max Weinberg

Post by NadineLynn »

Does anyone know how to reach Max Weinberg (Drummer in Bruce Springsteen's Wrecking Ball Tour and also earlier Springsteen, and has his own Weinberg Band, was Conan's band)?

He did a talk in Oak Park, recently, regarding Wright and how he loved the Guggenheim (his cousin got him in during construction). I wonder if he knows what's happening with the only other round house by FLW, the David Wright house in Phoenix, and if he would have any ideas to save it, including purchase even if to hold until another buyer is found who wanted it for a home.

I've been keeping up and keeping active with trying to save the home, and the restoration costs are nowhere as high as the current owners, who still want to bulldoze, would have people believe. He could log on to a site that has much current info on the situation or I could bring him up to speed w/ one short phone call.

Let me know if anyone has a friend of a friend who can contact him directly. No agents or fan club contacts, please. They are spurious.

http://archrecord.construction.com/news ... Temple.asp
Last edited by NadineLynn on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Article in today's New York Times. I don't trust these guys for a minute. The final paragraph states it all. I'd like to see him lose big as a lesson for others who place profit above all else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/us/ph ... d=pl-share
ch

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Sells will not lose money on this deal no matter how it ends. Profiting from real estate in this culture is sacrosanct. One way or another, and it probably doesn't matter to him a whit which way, Sells will bank a profit. There's nothing new about the bottom line philosophy.

NadineLynn

Money and Real Estate

Post by NadineLynn »

Unfortunately, Craig, Roderick is correct. The man will make money, either way; however, the kind of spoiled brat attitude he exhibits is an appalling shame. And he gets to own and even live in a Wright; while we, who would be happy to spend even a few nights in that house due to pure aesthetic appreciation, are held, by the Will of the Universe, at arm's length. Go figure.
Like a child who doesn't want to share his toys, so instead, he'll break them.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Craig wrote:
The final paragraph states it all.
Indeed it does...here it is:
“I’ll move in, invite everybody to come in and take their pictures, and I’m going to wait three years,� he said, interlacing his fingers behind his neck as he slouched on the orange cushions of the master bedroom’s seating area. “Then I’m going to knock it down to recoup my losses.�
It is a personal issue to Mr.Sells now...he will not be told what to do by anyone: preservationists, city officials, or anyone else. He will show us all...we can landmark it and delay him, and he will tear down the house, HIS house, when the limited protections expire, to spite us all.

That's property rights, over inflated ego, and greed at its most absurd.

Deke

Post by Deke »

I'll say it again. Eminent Doman that house. Declare it a historic landmark, write the guy a check for what he paid for it last winter plus interest. Then revoke his permit to every buy any property in Phoenix again.

Deke