Harry Goodrich house (1896) Oak Park, IL

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Harry Goodrich house (1896) Oak Park, IL

Post by DRN »

On my bike ride through Oak Park last week, I saw Chat's own outside in's firm sign in front of the Goodrich house. Am I correct in assuming that the nasty looking wood exterior exit stair from the second floor is gone for good?

outside in

Post by outside in »

that's funny - the outside stair was built as a means to provide construction access to the third floor rehabilitation. Replica ornamental windows were installed based on period photographs, and the interior space was converted into two additional bedrooms with a shared bath.

The most interesting project now underway is the reconstruction of the original front entry stairs. I'm sure its going to be a little shocking to see the original design in place in the next month!

DRN

Post by DRN »

I had assumed the stair was built to allow multi-family occupancy at some point....makes sense now as a means to minimize wear and tear of the main stair from work traffic.
If possible to post, I'd love to see pics of the new porch stair once it is in place.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

It's going to be on Wright Plus in May. You can see for yourself.

therman7g

Replica ornamental windows

Post by therman7g »

outside in

Post by outside in »

Work continues on the restoration of the Goodrich House. The project is turning out to be an interesting example of Wright's early work.

The Goodrich House before:

With dormer removed, bay windows restored, and rebuilt stair (the entire exterior needs to be painted with original colors):

As published in April 1901

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks for posting the new pics...the stair treatment is a surprise. I hadn't imagined Wright would have used the close spaced frets AND the clapboard porch screen in the same composition, but there it is in a 1901 photo.
The 1901 pic seems to be unclear (at least as posted) as whether the diamond motif at the porch posts and second storey corners is original or added sometime after 1901. Is in the old picture but not well lighted or painted a darker color?

outside in

Post by outside in »

yes, the diamond pattern on the posts were there - Wright didn't bother to make a big deal out of them by painting them a contrasting color. The house originally had yellow-beige-ochre tone trim

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Here's a photo from September 2009 with the temporary stairs:

More photos at http://www.flwright.us/FLW042.htm

SDR

Post by SDR »

The historic photo is strongly colored, if you will, by the direct sunlight and resulting shadow present at the moment the film was exposed. The shadow line almost coincides with the second-floor sill line, and also with the top edge of the porch parapet. Thus, the fussy lozenge-shaped decoration of the porch posts, echoed at each end of the second-story window band, is obscured -- whatever its paint treatment. How much calmer and more horizontally-banded the exterior seems, in that old black-and-white photo . . . !

SDR