Front Page of NY Times: David Wright House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
FTA

Front Page of NY Times: David Wright House

Post by FTA »

Article on front page of this mornings NYT on line:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/03/arts/ ... rs.html?hp
Former Taliesin Apprentice

Deke

Post by Deke »

Once again the answer here is eminent domain. If there in fact was an outside buyer willing to pay $2 million, that buyer should go to the city and have the city declare eminent domain and seize the property, using the recently purchased price as the amount due the owners. Then the city gets reimbursed by this other buyer.

outside in

Post by outside in »

Neil Levine: “There is no house quite like this one, with its mythic content,�
Could someone explain to the rest of us what that means?

peterm

Post by peterm »

Mythic can mean exaggerated, idealized?... Maybe he also is referring to spiral architecture of the "mythical" Middle East?:

http://archidialog.com/tag/spiral-minaret-in-samarra/

There is something utterly unique about this place. The comparison in the article of the house to a coiled rattlesnake is an interesting one. All for the more reason to not mess with it, and leave plenty of space around it!

Poetic, filled with fantasy, it is a wonderful gift to a son (and the rest of us!...)
Last edited by peterm on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

John, you know Neil. It means absolutely nothing in that Harvard way of slicing and dicing the language to avoid interpretation.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Peter, I believe years ago there was an Architectural Record cartoon showing the David Wright House as a coiled serpent, but I cannot recall the punch line.

NadineLynn

David Wright House

Post by NadineLynn »

Is it true that the home is in danger of being bulldozed today or tomorrow due to misconstrued permission by Hoffman, one of the owners? Is anyone minding the store to stop it, if it begins?

I've done what I can--posted the petition everywhere I could think, made some email noise. Wrote and called City of Phoenix. Suggested Eminent Domain. Found a potential buyer (wrote to City regarding and NO ONE got back to me--can you believe that??). Even told Sells, the other owner about buyer--he seemed interested but I didn't know at the time he already turned down a cash offer above cost.

Anyone have a way in to talk to someone with authority.

FTA

Post by FTA »

I happened to catch this afternoon a National Public Radio story on the house. It seems the owner, from another state, had no idea who Frank Lloyd Wright is or of the significance of the property. He made several statements in the story and seemed disgruntled that his uninformed purchase is now being contested "at my expense." The house needed to be removed in order to subdivide the section into two lots for two new houses. A couple of people were interviewed who are part of a 24-hour vigil at the place to prevent any bulldozers from starting demolition. According to the story, with increased attention being drawn to the place, some offers have been coming in for its purchase.

Let's all hope this is resolved in the best interest of everyone, although it seems the place will be completely surrounded by large homes.
Former Taliesin Apprentice

NadineLynn

Post by NadineLynn »

FTA

I don't think so--about large homes surrounding it (except one being built on a nearby property). Supposedly the potential buyers are getting the whole experience when they by--the land (a 2+ acre lot) and the residence. The builder cannot really do what he wants due to the zoning, can't build as many homes or as high up, so it's easier for him to sell the whole thing and either start again elsewhere or take his money and go on with his life. That's Sells, the one who made the purchase; the other partner, Hoffman, is the problem in that his is sweat equity, so he gets nothing when it sells, and he has more of an interest in the bulldozer no matter how many people throughout the world it saddens--he's only thinking of himself--he's not even thinking of his friend Sells who he put in this position by not doing enough homework when he found the place. Sells thought he was getting an easy deal at a low price, but now it's getting all complicated and the PR for his business is horrible. Who'd even want their homes at this point; they'd be known as the ones who did this terrible razing of a Wright--unthinkable!!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I don't know about Phoenix, but in California, zoning laws are enforced until they are not enforced, which usually happens when a developer asks for a variance. Don't assume that D. Wright won't be surrounded by huge houses even if it is saved. It takes tireless, permanent vigilance.

NadineLynn

Houses around David Wright House

Post by NadineLynn »

Roderick Grant

There are houses already there, for years, that are not going anywhere soon--take a look at an satellite aerial if you don't live in the area. I do, and vacant lots do not surround the DWHouse at this time. If the property is sold as a package, there will be very little chance that a high-rise will happen in our lifetime, blocking DWHouse views. Phoenix, as a general rule, has very little "high" buildings, and that area in particular, Arcadia, has many low ranch-style homes.

I understand what you are saying, but at this time, it's not an issue; however, saving the house, and getting the petition filled, is the current push.
Last edited by NadineLynn on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NadineLynn

DWHouse

Post by NadineLynn »

Sorry, should have reread, I meant that there are no empty lots surrounding the DWHouse at this time; there is a new build but construction seemed to have stopped for whatever reason--ugliness of the building is my guess : )