FLW AIA Gold Medal 1949 acceptance speech on 78 rpm

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SteveS

FLW AIA Gold Medal 1949 acceptance speech on 78 rpm

Post by SteveS »

I recently acquired a 4 record set of FLW's address to the AIA when accepting the gold medal in 1949. The records are on red vinyl at 78 rpm. The ones I have are in blank paper sleeves but have no other packaging. Does anyone have any information about these recordings? I found links to a couple holdings in closed stacks at university libraries and another site mentions that there were a limited number of copies made. Are these really that rare? The audio and text versions are up on the AIA website if anyone's interested (apologies if this was posted before; didn't find anything in the search function)!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I've never heard of that recording, but I do remember the Red Seal Records from RCA (now owned by Sony Masterworks). They were originally regular 10" black 78s, then in the early 50s, they came out with red discs the size of LPs, but still in 78. The slip covers were blue accordions.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Neat find. Here is a link to the AIA website entry on the event:

http://www.aia.org/practicing/akr/AIAB090272

On the page is a pic of Wright giving his speech and a pic of a red vinyl record.

According to Fay Jones' biography, he attended (crashed, really) the event at the Shamrock Hotel in Houston that night and met Wright for the first time there.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I also have a set of those records. I think they were recorded by the AIA though not sure if they were ever sold to the general public. I wonder who has the copyright on the recording?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

As Wright was chauffeured to the Shamrock Hotel for the event, he commented on the architecture, "I see the sham. Where's the rock?"

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Be very careful with 78s. They are fragile, and handling like we often did with 12" record albums can be fatal to brittle 78s.

I have purchased a couple over the years from eBay, and every time they arrived in shards. They just can't be handled and shipped like vinyl.

Rood

Post by Rood »

This recording is wonderful to hear again, of course, but the full speech is a lot longer, and at times is a blistering attack on the American Institute of "Architects".

Many years have passed since I last heard the full speech (I believe Taliesin had a film, or a tape recording, not vinyl records) but Mr. Wright told the assembly something to the effect that he might have joined the organization had it been called: The American Institute of "Architecture".

mjhaye

Re: FLW AIA Gold Medal 1949 acceptance speech on 78 rpm

Post by mjhaye »

I also came across a set of these red vinyl 78rpm records a couple years back. I haven't been able to find almost anything about it. Mine came in what appears to be hand made cardboard packaging. The packaging is also quite old, possibly period, and was addressed as though it was going to be sent, but appears to never have been.
Any Information about these would be greatly appreciated. just super curious.
I may pull it out and add some photos.
Thanks

SDR

Re: FLW AIA Gold Medal 1949 acceptance speech on 78 rpm

Post by SDR »

Did you set come with any printed matter ? If so, that would be of interest as well.

S