Archives to Avery Library/ Columbia University

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Re: Archives to Avery Library/ Columbia University

Post by Tom »

Wondering what the mechanism might be for Avery to make their images accessible on WrightChat.
I'd think money would have something to do with it.
Wondering if online WrightChat access to those images could somehow be restricted to Conservancy members and Avery be paid a % of each membership fee.
I would certainly join the Conservancy in that case.
... and I think that would cause membership to jump considerably.

Some administrator with clout in the Conservancy needs to get on board
and help us here.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Oops
I didn't consider legal fees.
Oh well

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Im wondering if anyone else has received any archive drawings, and if so what do you think of them.

I ask as the ones I have received- seem to me to not included a full set of construction drawings - but various working out of parts of the construction and early preliminary design studies.

Im kinda disappointed in that - I was expecting to see full set of construction drawings, and the various revisions as issued.

When I was at Taliesin West in 1994, Bruce allowed me to enter the "vault" and look at the archive drawings of my choosing. I can remember seeing full working drawings sets - fascinating stuff - I inparticular seeked out Jacobs II hemicycle.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I'm sure copyright has something to do with the Avery's distribution of images. More accurately the copyright on Wright's drawings, but the lack of copyright on his architectural designs. It's confusing, but in Wright's era, drawings were protects but buildings weren't. So you could build a Wright design as long as you didn't copy his drawings (maybe just take the measurements from the drawings and create a new set of drawings). I still can't figure out why no architect has set up a "Wright Design" business and just offer Wright designs to customers.