Archives to Avery Library/ Columbia University

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
egads

Post by egads »

I'm not a T-west historian by any stretch, but the whole place is a desert camp, meant to be kicked around by people and weather. It's possible those surfaces were never "nice" They may have been raw once, but only recently
have they been in a temp controlled space. I would hate to have everything so well restored and conserved that they would no long be able to let tour groups have a seat.

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Front page, Saturday Sept 8th,2012 ARIZONA REPUBLIC : "Wright Archives to Move" I'm one of three people on my block that still get the newspaper delivered. Large article, but just like the Republic, a little late and also they used some large photos to take up space.

Nice overview, some hand wringing about the loss and of course the usual grumbling by the very people who never lifted a finger to help.

By line: Loss of papers to NYC called "a sad thing" for his legacy.

And so it goes.....

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

(link to above mentioned article in the Arizona Republic):

Frank Lloyd Wright archives to move to New York

David

dtc

Post by dtc »

The opaque stain/paint on the hassocks at TW was what we found on all the exterior mahogany at Dobkins. We hated it then and still hate it now. No matter what wood was used for their construction the removal of the stain would really be an improvement.
I'm sure because of damaging UV exposure over the years the wood in many areas become an unattractive grey/grey black in tone.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

(audio interview w/ Sean Malone):

Finding the "Wright" Place for An Enormous Historical Archive - [13:12]

David

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DRN

Post by DRN »

The Taliesins need to build an endowment to fund regular maintenance/restoration. Hopefully these "revenue bumps" will assist in that effort.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Let's hope that they live off the interest and don't spend the principal.

Mayor Daley of Chicago leased all of the parking meters for 75 years and proceeded to spend the one time billion dollar plus revenue stream on annual operations.

You are not supposed to eat your seed corn!
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

g.dorn

Re: Archives to Avery Library/ Columbia University - online viewing access available

Post by g.dorn »

I posted an email to the avery archives asking if they could provide online viewing access to the FLW drawings - particularly for those of us who are on other side of the planet.
This is my list

Jacobs I house 3702 - 70 drawings

Pew house 4012 - 60 drawings

Goetch-Winkler house 3907 - 16 drawings

Sturges house 4113 - 6 drawings

Pauson house 4011 -64 drawings

Affleck House 4011 -31 drawings

Schwartz house 4213- 12 drawings

Lloyd Lewis house 4004 -38 drawings + 4308- 3 drawings + 4833- 7 drawings

Baird House 4001 -13 drawings

Rosenbaum House 3903 - 20 drawings + 4815 -18 drawings

Suntop Homes

EcuhtmanHouse 4005-13 drawings

and Broadacre City project 3406 - 3419

I, much to my surprise , recieved a replying email today

"Thank you for your message and interest in our collections. We have black and white study images for most of the Frank Lloyd Wright drawings. The files were created by the FLW Foundation in the 1990s. Given how popular these files are for researchers that cannot travel to New York (and especially now given the travel restrictions), we have to limit to about 10 to 15 sets of study images per researcher per year. The selection you have sent me includes 27 projects (assuming that you are requesting all Broadacre City projects from 3406 to 3419).

I will gladly share all this material with you, but I will not be able to share more with you. Please let me know if this will be sufficient for you for this year or you prefer to send me a smaller selection and keep the option of requesting more projects later. The files will be shared with you through WeTransfer. You will receive an email shortly with a downloadable link to PDF documents containing the images. A list of drawings with their descriptions and reference numbers (e.g.5514.001)will also be sent to you.

Please do not hesitate to reach back out to us with any other questions you may have.

Best,
Mathieu Pomerleau
so they are happy to share - but limit the offer to 10 - 15 sets of study images per year.

fantastic - Im in.
Last edited by g.dorn on Tue May 26, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Re: Archives to Avery Library/ Columbia University

Post by g.dorn »

oh

contact info

Mathieu Pomerleau
Public Services Archivist
Avery Drawings and Archives
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10027

general: 212-854-4110

To reach the department, please email:
avery-drawings@library.columbia.edu

the list of available documents is here
https://findingaids.library.columbia.ed ... 376/dsc/6
Last edited by g.dorn on Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Ive now emailed replied to them with my initial list to the avery archives

Pew house 4012 - 60 drawings

Goetch-Winkler house 3907 - 16 drawings

Sturges house 4113 - 6 drawings

Pauson house 4011 -64 drawings

Schwartz house 4213- 12 drawings

Lloyd Lewis house 4004 -38 drawings + 4308- 3 drawings + 4833- 7 drawings

will see what happens!
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

DRN

Post by DRN »

Many thanks for sharing your correspondence and links g.dorn!
The Archives is a treasure trove that has recently become open to us through the Avery acquisition...we must utilize this as best possible, kudos on your effort!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Perhaps we could start a series of threads on WC titled, "Avery archive: 'X' House or Building," each of which would focus on a single project with as much information as could be obtained. We might see things never seen before.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

That's a good idea.

Perhaps another one might be if we could start a Wiki page on here - and then have a section within it for individual houses/buildings.

David