Article: Bachman-Wilson House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Bachman-Wilson House

Post by DavidC »

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

The Bachman-Wilson house is now featured in Wright on the Market.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Sequoia wrote:The Bachman-Wilson house is now featured in Wright on the Market.
Bachman Wilson House

David

therman7g

Hurricane Sandy

Post by therman7g »

Is the Bachman Wilson House headed for trouble?

peterm

Post by peterm »

Good point...

And DRN at Sweeton, are you all prepared to stay in for a few days?

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

And the Guggenheim.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

In the extreme case, we might see water coursing down the ramp(s) at the Gugg. I'd be amused to see that . . . though not happy about the destruction such an event would imply.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I suspect Pope/Leighy, Cooke and Spencer are in the most extreme danger.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

What about Max Hoffman? Isn't that right on Long Island Sound?

And doesn't a stream or river run through or near the site of Rayward, in CT?

Very sadly, Bachman-Wilson may well be in for very tough turn once more.

And I hope our own DRN and wife will be ok in Sweeton.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

Tonight's forecasts for the coast of New Jersey and for Long Island Sound are tidal surges of from 6 to 12 feet. This is an unheard-of situation. I spent the 'fifties living two blocks from the Sound; my sister currently resides at its shore. I wish her -- and many many others -- well.

Hoffman is on the shore, perhaps elevated enough to be spared at least some flooding.

Yahoo News reported a short time ago that the storm has been downgraded from a Hurricane. I don't know if this means anything relative to the events already predicted for the next 24 hours.

SDR

Rood

Post by Rood »

Fallingwater. Heavy, heavy rains are falling in Western Pennsuylvania as I type. The house suffered serious flood damage before, and given the right circumstances it will experience flood damage again.

SDR

Post by SDR »

EJK, jr wrote of a storm which brought water up the driveway and into the main level of the house. Fallingwater was at the time wrapped in scaffolding erected for a repainting of the exterior, and (he says) the raging waters "shook the house like a terrier shaking a rat." Sand was later cleaned from inside the french doors to the terraces.

A hurricane in the 'fifties -- maybe the same one ? -- drove a tug and barge across Long Island Sound and all the way to the top of Rye Beach. Perhaps that was the result of a surge like the one presently expected. A full-moon high tide is part of the mix, this time . . .

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

It is sad seeing and hearing my weather friends
giving updates on New York,New Jersey,Connecticut,
Maryland,Delaware,Virginia,Pennsylvania,and points
inland. It is scary what I have heard and what is going
on.

Jeff
JAT
Jeff T

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

Wouldn't a slab-on-grade house be rather difficult to move?

SDR

Post by SDR »

The way in which Wright's Usonian houses -- which usually have a concrete slab, brick or block work, and wood walls and roofs -- is for the slab and masonry to be abandoned, and recreated on a new site, after which the original wood elements are reassembled.

SDR