Obituary For Original FLW Client Ida Trier

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Wrightgeek

Obituary For Original FLW Client Ida Trier

Post by Wrightgeek »

Paul R. passed along to me the sad news that Mrs. Ida Trier of Johnston, IA, one of the last of the original FLW clients, passed away in late June. The link below will take you to her obituary. It looks as though she a long, full life, undoubtedly enriched by living in a serenely beautiful environment for over fifty years.

http://obit.funeralnet.com/obitdisplay. ... ng=Current

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

This truly was a special generation and we will miss them all dearly.

I don't think she was the last original client still living in her FLW home. Are there others?

Or is time slipping by me.

doug k

peterm

Post by peterm »

We had the pleasure of meeting her last summer at her house. She was completely alert and her memory intact despite the fact that she was nearly blind. The house was beautifully decorated and she was a gracious host...
I am certain she will be missed.

An era of great optimism is coming to an end...

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I think Reisley in New York, Ohlfelt in Minnesota and Lewis in Florida all have at least one original client still in the house.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Once again, I am struck with the notion that there MUST be some connection to longevity and living in great Architecture. I'm finding a few of Bob beharka's and Aaron Green's clients are well into their 90's, and we have seen many Wright clients live long lives.

I had a lovely telephone conversation on saturday with Mrs. Walton, who still resides in her Wright home in Modesto.
KevinW

DRN

Post by DRN »

To my knowledge, Dudley Spencer of Delaware still lives in his house.

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

Mrs. Shavin still spends time in her home in Chattanooga to my knowledge. Sadly, the number of original homeowners is dwindling........

EP

John

Living Owners

Post by John »

Please don't forget Dr. John Christian who is not only still living in his original FLLW house (in West Lafayette, IN), but is hosting public tours and who will celebrate his 95th birthday tomorrow, July 12!

John

FLLW Surviving Homeowners

Post by John »

Reidy wrote:I think Reisley in New York, Ohlfelt in Minnesota and Lewis in Florida all have at least one original client still in the house.
I am not aware of his whereabouts, but Mr. Lewis no longer lives in his FLLW home.

The List:
Christian (1954), Olfelt (1958), Reisley (1951), Shavin (1950),
Spencer (1956), Walton (1957).

Any more?

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Mr. George Lewis has passed, but his wife, Clifton, I believe, is still living in her house in Tallahassee, FL.

Mrs. Gerald B. Tonkens, I believe, has remarried but is still living in her house.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

I'm pretty sure that Karen Johnson Boyd and Bette Pappas are both still with us and living in their respective homes.

I've also heard rumor that one or both of the Ibers may still be living in their home in Wisconsin. And I'm not sure that she is still living in her home anymore, but I thought that Virginia Lovness was still alive.

Are either of the Goddards still alive? I know that one of their daughters lives in the Wall Residence next door, and I thought that she may have mentioned that one or both of her parents might still be living in their FLW home.

What about the Kalils in NH? I know that the house has been for sale for quite a while, but I'm not sure if the Kalils still own it or live there?

John

Lovness

Post by John »

OMG! How could I forget Mrs. Lovness?! Yes, she still lives in her house part of the year.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I, too, had the true pleasure of meeting Mrs. Trier last year - and she very graciously showed us her truly wonderful home and even told us a story or two. Her daughter accompanied her to help show us around and we were very much made to feel welcome. So many Wright homeowners are amazingly open and generous.

Oh, and The Zaferious and Mr. Adelman are still in their homes, as well.

WG - Mr. Kallil's brother has been the sole occupant of that home for some time now.

David

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

Thanks for the info on Kalil, DC. I must have been confused by the fact that another Kalil owns the house. And for some reason I thought that Ollie Adelman had passed away within the past year or two, but I must have imagined that. And I don't think I as aware of the Zaferious, which is good to know.

Paul R.: You are correct that Mrs. Lewis does still live in her home. And yes, Beverly Tonkens is still in her home in Cincinnati with her (2nd) husband, Sherman. Keep in mind that Beverly was not married to Mr. Tonkens when the house was built. I believe that the first Mrs. Tonkens died many years ago, and that Beverly married Gerald Tonkens several years later.

John

Homeowners

Post by John »

Then Mrs. Tonkens is not an original owner.
Nor is Mr. Kalil.

Mrs. Trier was a wonderful woman. Imagine my surprise when she welcomed us into her home with the declaration "I'm blind!"